• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of the Thomas Edison coin?

17 posts in this topic

3C1_popup.jpg

It's the typical awful piece of [!@#%^&^] from the mint. Lots of open space on the obverse and a crowded fugly reverse celebrating a fake anniversary.

I might order some of the unc ones of this coin since I think it is so ugly that not many people will bother to order it. Might get a nice rarity.

I think the portrait of Edison is alright but the reverse is from another planet. The lightbulb image is so out of keeping with our typical images (particularly the rays) that it's laughable. I'll buy them 'cause I'm a schlep for the series, sorry to say. frown.gif Hopefully Greg's right about the potential rarity! ooo.gif

Hoot

never heard of it

greg posted a photo of this coin on this thread

and it is to me one of the most ugly ill designed/constructed usa federal coins i have ever seen

an insult to edison, his good name and the quality he strived for

michael

The obverse isn't bad at all. I kind of prefer some open space to the usual cluttered design. The reverse is another story, its hideous. The concentric rings around the light bulb are the worst feature but the bulb and clutter also distract. Ugh.

Unlikley one will makeit into my collection.

-JamminJ

I don’t think the obverse is bad at all. The reverse, now that’s a different story. 893whatthe.gifsleeping.gif

I will buy one unc. and one proof for my modern commem set though.

John

I like the fact that they honored Edison because he was a great American. It's one of the few modern commemorative silver dollars that I would really like to have. Usually I only have interest in the sets that have gold coins in them.

Having said all of this I doubt that anyone is going to get rich off these coins. As a matter of fact in a few years, it would not surprise me to see these coins offtered as shows for less than the issue price, when you can find them.

If I were into collecting modern commems, I would have gotten a few of them just to keep with all the others that have been produced. But since I haven't even one out of all of them, (except for the ASE's), I'll not start buying now and try to get one of every other commem that has come out.

The design is so-so but for collecting just to fill a hole in the series, it shouldn't make a difference. IMO

David

How about images of him electrocuting neighborhood kids pets? (During his battle with Westinghouse over which system AC or DC would prevail, he would go into neighborhoods and pay the kids to round up cats and dogs. then he would electrocute them to demonstrate the "dangers" of using AC.)