• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New G$3 addition: 1867 (Mintage=2600)

6 posts in this topic

I also have the coin pictures in the grading section so I apologize for the dupe set of pictures. According to the $3 Gold book that my friend has, there are only about 150 surviving specimens thought to exist for this date!

The coin appears to be 100% original, nice orange skin, flashy prooflike surfaces still shine through over the obverse rim and basically all of the reverse.

This is my second G$3. These aren't cheap so I may have to hold off awhile before getting any others!

By the way, there is no visible spot on the obverse like you see in the picture...I think something got on the slab.

1867_G3_-_PCGS_AU53_-_Obverse4_smal.jpg1867_G3_-_PCGS_AU53_-_Reverse4_smal.jpg

semi prooflike

choice au

with original golden greenish color

and above average eye appeal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

accourding to the three dollar bowers-winter book

estimated mint state coins known 20-25

estimated circulated coins known 95-125

approximately 115-150 known in all business strike grades

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the figure known is most likely closer to 115 in my opinion

the usa purchased alaska from russia for 7.2 million dollars in 1867

the west was just beginning to be populated and buffalo roamed the great plains in HUGE NUMBERS and starting in oct. 1867 william cody buffalo bill shot and killed 4300 of them by the summer of 1868