• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin with artificial toning

2 posts in this topic

Can NCS do anything with a coin that has artificial toning? I know each situation is different. I was just wondering more so if it is even a possibility.

Also NCS says they charge based on fair market value. Is that fair market value for the coin in its current state, or fair market value in a conserved state?

Also the coin is a proof trade dollar that had come back from PCGS as questionable color if this helps.

I greatly appreciate any info you could provide on the subject!

Artificial toning can frequently be removed, the question is should it be removed. Artificial toning is usually added by a less than honest individual in order to hide something. When the toning is removed, the problem to be hidden is revealed. The problems can range from contact marks that would only make a coin grade lower to, more often, evidence of improper cleaning or environmental damage that would make a coin grade with details.

Without knowing what a coin might be like following conservation, it might best to value your coin as it is before conservation. The value you use will also be the figure we use to insure your coin on return shipping.

Chris, NCS