• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could use some help on pattern coins.

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking for the correct weight for J-1563 and 1564.

These were made of Goloid and I'm lost.

Is there a site with this type of info. on patterns?

lf-2.jpglf-1.jpg

From Heritage archives. Sorry i can't make it out either Larry. (shrug)

1878 $1 Goloid Metric Dollar, Judd-1563, Pollock-1754, R.(?), PR60 ANACS. Liberty faces left and wears a cap with the legend LIBERTY in incuse letters. The reverse has the alloy composition and weight within a circle of 38 stars. Struck in goloid alloy with a reeded edge. The exact rarity of Judd-1563 is unknown, as only a specific gravity test can distinguish between it and a silver alloy variant, Judd-1564. Judd-1563 and Judd-1564 combined are Rarity-6. The mauve-gray and golden-russet surfaces are faintly hairlined

Posted this after Mark and as always correct.

On the reverse, 38 stars encircle the inscription GOLOID / METRIC. / 1 - G. / 16.1 - S. / 1.9 - C. / GRAMS 14.25. The legend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is above and the denomination expressed

Several hundred sets containing a Goloid dollar, a metric dollar and a $4 Stella were distributed.

Based on director Linderman's comments, I doubt more than 3 or 4 silver specimens were prepared for the House Committee to examine.

If the planchets were cut from sheets of the same thickness there would be a slight difference in weight but probably not significant enough to be able to tell the two apart. Even using specific gravity would be difficult and you would have to be careful with your measurments. The Goloid composition has a SG of 10.78 and the pure silver is 10.5