• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Hoarding 1914 Barber 50c

7 posts in this topic

I have found this issue very tough to find and bidding in auction for it very competetive. I have considered hoarding this issue too after a guy at a show gave me his wantlist which led me to search for it online and then realize how popular and tough to find (without paying out the nose for) it is.

My personal opinion is that it is a little overrated in grades of Fine or less, which is the range where I am most likely to be searching them out. In VF - EF, it's considerably tougher, and above that, I wouldn't know. Most of the times when I catalog a complete set in an album, the esteemed 1913, 1914 and 1915 keys are nicely represented. My guess is most of the 1914s are sitting in peoples' albums.

By no means am I saying 1914 is "common" or easy to find, though. It is unquestionably one of the top keys to the set.

There are still good opportunities out there in the half dollar market.

I wish I would have filled a few bags of 1921 S's. Once upon a time, they weren't much better than scrap......

Paul

I can't say for certain, but it would be my guess that Mike Hayes probably has all of them in AU.

I'm still considering giving him a barber pole for his house.

Chris :devil:

I've been looking for a mint state example for about 3 years. Can't find one, that includes looking at the Long Beach shows.

I thought of this thread last night. At the coin club meeting, I found not one, but two 1914 halves for sale, and this from the standpoint of pretty limited offerings. One was an outstanding VG-10 with perfectly original surfaces and no problems, and the asking price was $10 over VG bid. It had full rims, and technically, at least a piece of every letter in LIBERTY was visible.

The other was only Good+ with a full obverse rim and 90% of the reverse rim, but there was no price listed, and I didn't ask.

So at least in the non-full-LIBERTY range, they are out there and available for very reasonable prices.