• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QDB's Silver Dollar Encyclopedia posted ATS

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It is great reading material. The only disappointment is that the coin photos didn't reproduce well enough to use for attribution purposes. The original photos must not have been available, so they appear to have been scanned from a hardcopy of the book.

This is the best attribution book for early dollars, whether one chooses to use Bowers-Borckardt (BB) numbers or the old Bolender (B) numbers. NGC uses both to please the most customers, but I use only the Bowers book for actually performing the attributions. Mine is steadily wearing out from almost daily use, and I'd like to get another. Sadly, it's been out of print for years and copies cost about $400-500 when available.

Just a word of caution. The Bowers' book remains an excellent resource. But, it is 20-years old, and much of the volume II information has been updated elsewhere. Also, quite a few references are 2nd or 3rd hand - acceptable then, less so now.

Gobrecht dollar info has also been updated and debated quite a bit since the early 1990s.

Here's a snippet from page 17 of chapter 12:

"There were 19 rolls (380 coins) available at that time. The breakdown went something like this.

1873-CC 15 coins, 5 Uncirculated (of the 15)

1874-CC 80 coins, 15 Uncirculated

1875-CC 150 coins, 40 Uncirculated

1876-CC 90 coins, 15 Uncirculated

1877-CC 45 coins, 10 Uncirculated."

I'm surprised that even back in 1973 there were that many '76-CC trade dollars in the lot. I bet very few (if any) of them were type I/I.

When QDB started these books it was only going to be one book but it got so large it turned into a set of two and the price went up. Those that prepaid before it finally got published got a heck of a deal. I was one of the lucky ones. Wish I could remember what the pre-publish price was.

My volume two is bound backward and I thought that to be a bit cool and didn't return it. I guess you call that an error book:)

The book pictured in the link has a red cover. Was that a leather bound edition or something? I thought they all had yellow covers. I agree some of the information is getting a bit old.

When QDB started these books it was only going to be one book but it got so large it turned into a set of two and the price went up. Those that prepaid before it finally got published got a heck of a deal. I was one of the lucky ones. Wish I could remember what the pre-publish price was.

My volume two is bound backward and I thought that to be a bit cool and didn't return it. I guess you call that an error book:)

The book pictured in the link has a red cover. Was that a leather bound edition or something? I thought they all had yellow covers. I agree some of the information is getting a bit old.

My set has a paste-down on the inside cover of volume 1 which states that it is

No. 11 “of 500 deluxe hardbound copies.” The cover is dark red/maroon. It is not

leather but I would assume that a few of the sets were so bound.

Disme