• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern world coins posted by No Free Time

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The coin community appears very U.S. centric

Having only started to collect coins in the last two years, I am relatively new to the hobby.

One thing that I am curious about is how seemingly focused most U.S. collectors are on U.S. coins, particularly as it relates to modern bullion pieces. I have a fledgling collection of China Panda gold coins and also the U.S. First Spouse series.

One thing that surprises me is how hard it is to find reliable price data on World Coins. Numismedia and PCGS don't even price these Chinese coins. I suppose there is less demand for this information and fewer transactions to base pricing info on.

This leads to my second observation, which is not many people seem interested in these modern foreign issues. I guess people like the good old US of A issues, these are the most popular and they have cultural meaning. I certainly am attracted to and fascinated by U.S. coins as well, both modern and pre-1933.

I have no ancient coins, but this is another world issue that just doesn't seem very popular. To me these would appear to be the most "collectible" as they are truly "ancient" and often very rare and interesting. Its another area where I don't see much on the web, NGC doesn't have a big registry or community and there's little in the way of pricing data.

These are just casual observations I'd love people's perspectives on why they collect what they collect, whether it be modern, classic, U.S. or non-U.S. Obviously its a personal preference thing and there is no "right" answer.