• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plus Designations on Roosevelts

54 posts in this topic

"I see that Dan registered his "closr to perfect" Roosie set and took the #3 spot.

Thats pretty good considering PCGS does not use the star designation of which

about 80% of his coins would get. I also noticed that when viewing the set the plus designation shows as a star. You have to click on the coin to see if it's a star or plus. I wonder if NGC knows that or if it's something thet're still working on. I hope Dan also registers his clad set."

Dan, where's your pics??? Set like this needs photos!!!

I have a 1955 Proof 69 U.C..... Beautiful frosting...Its in my registry

hm Yes it is in your registry but there is no picture!! (tsk)

I would love to see that coin....I can already bet she has great frosting!!

• Administrator
I also noticed that when viewing the set the plus designation shows as a star. You have to click on the coin to see if it's a star or plus. I wonder if NGC knows that or if it's something thet're still working on.

We did not know that but we do now and we are working to correct it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks for all the welcomes! Nick suggested I come over here as there are more Roosie enthusiasts on this side of the street. I look forward to chatting Roosies with y'all. I put my clad set in last night, so I guess once it is verified, it should show up. I'm not too good with links, but the silver set has tru-view photos across the street. No photos of the clads yet. I have a photo setup buried in storage somewhere that I got fairly good with taking photos of my Lincolns a few years ago. I'm thinking about maybe digging it out and trying to get up to speed with photos of the clads. Now if I can just find some time!

Now I believe the appropriate welcome gift to these boards would be one or more of the 8 clads I don't have in FB! FT would also be acceptable! lol!

Thanks Again,

Dan

Welcome Dan..On behalf of all the roosevelt registry members. I would love to see your clad dimes.It is about time we have a new challenger in out ranks. I am sure that I ( Paul Kiraly) , Lablover , L.Berg , and Dr Jason will enjoy the competition. .It is grewling to stay ahead of the game. I wish you luck...If you collect NGC coins, I have a few that might intrest you.

As of this morning Dan just took the #1 lead in 1946-present.. I am up to the challenge of seeing who has this best set for the 2010 registery awards...I wonder if Dr Jason is up for his challenge from 1965- present? . Good Luck to all !!!!!

Wow!!! Dan also took the #1 spot in 1965 - present. Look out Jim. The only thing left for Dan is the 1946 - 1964 silver set. But we all know Jim has that locked up,

or does he?

Congratulations Dan Close, What an incredible Roosevelt Dime set you have built,

and welcome to the FUN side of the street.

Nick Cascio

Look out Jim. The only thing left for Dan is the 1946 - 1964 silver set. But we all know Jim has that locked up,

or does he?

Happy to have the company, and it's great to have another eye-candy set in the mix.

Hope to be adding my first couple of NGC graded Roosies soon! Very exciting, made me start thinking about my first PCGS coin purchase. I'm 99% sure it was a MS63RB 1909-S VDB Lincoln. This was about 10 or 11 years ago, I think, and I had made the mistake of buying raw coins on e-bay. Tried to get them graded, and of course they came back body bagged. Thankfully they weren't too expensive, and I learned my lesson. So I had always wanted an S-VDB Lincoln and decided I had better buy it already holdered in plastic. Anyway, who knows how many PCGS coins later, I'm finally getting into NGC.

Keep an eye on the set, should be a couple of very nice clads coming soon!

Dan

Ty... it is a monster..I may trade it to lablover for one of his ms68* Ft...NGC has only 2 regular strike ms69Fts...this is one of them and L berg has the other...

Ty... it is a monster..I may trade it to lablover for one of his ms68* Ft...

Sorry Paul, no trades allowed. Besides, I don't do Clads...they just don't tone the way I like my Roosies.

Now that the Plus designation has been out for a while I don't see very many coins receiving the designation. I have made a couple and I see a few others in sets. Since its inception I think fewer than 10 Roosevelt’s have been given the plus designation by NGC. PCGS has graded over 20 Roosevelt’s with the plus designation. Neither service has graded a coin over MS67 with the plus. This is going to be a much tougher designation to get going forward. I like the designation and believe it will be a big winner in the future for those accumulating these wonder coins now. I believe sometime in the next few years NGC will recognize how low the pops are and raise the points awarded for plus coins as they did for star designated coins. The plus will be far rarer to come by than the star and that will dictate raising the points for them. Couple the plus with the star on an FT Roosevelt and you truly have a special coin.

Just my 10 cents worth

Onlyroosies

Onlyroosies - your comments bear a little further thinking. The + designation is defined as the top percentage of a certain grade (I think its 10%, but not entirely sure). That means that one out of every 10 coins should earn the plus. To me, this is very common.

Perhaps one out of every 100 deserve the star (extraordinary eye appeal), maybe not even that many. To me, the star is far more significant than the plus.

Physic

No the plus does not mean 10% of all graded coins for a select grade. It means

a plus will be given to a coin that grades at the high end of a select grade. example: Let’s say the pop for a 1949D MS67FT Roosie is 100. The plus would be given to any that would regrade at MS67.90FT ( a just miss MS68FT ). This could be 1 or 2 coins. In some grades maybe none. I'm looking at value increase and rarity for the plus in the higher grades of MS67 and up. It will not have much of an effect on a $40 Morgan where the next grade up is $100. I’m looking at an MS67FT Roosie valued at $300 where the next grade up is $3000. Where the pop is 30 for the MS67FT and 1 or 2 for the MS68FT. You may end up with 1 or 2 MS67+FT and 5 or 6 MS67*FT. Right now each carries the same weight in the registry, but I think that will change. I would bet the farm that over the next 5 years there will be far more MS67* Roosies graded then MS67+ Roosies graded. The big win comes when getting both of these designations on the same coin.