• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

9 posts in this topic

Today, as usual, I went to the 80+ dealer, first-Sunday-of-the-month show at Parsippany, NJ. This show has the reputation of being the best one-day show in the country and usually features a wide range of material, some nationally known dealers and very active floor traffic.

Today the show was rather interesting - there were a few empty tables and several of the occupied tables had different dealers manning them. I suspect OTS board member Jon Lerner (scarsdalecoin) was just coming back from Long Beach, but I don't know where the other missing dealers were.

On the whole, the bourse floor was busy - it was hard to get down the aisles at about 10:00 or so and there was a nice "buzz" of business being done.

As usual, I chatted with Tom Hyland and OTS board member Seaeaglecoins. Tom seems to be suffering from "large cent disease" because he's had a pretty decent large cent inventory for quite a while. (Unfortunately, I'm not into copper, oh well.) Tom mentioned that business has been pretty good, but mostly for coins priced under $500 (which he also experienced at Baltimore).

As always, the "usual" coins were there in decent numbers (slabbed Morgans, Bust Halves, etc.) and the "unusual" coins weren't to be seen (pre-1853 Seated coins. early mint-marked Walkers and Mercuries, etc.) There are a couple of regular currency dealers and they usually have some nice material. I saw a couple of Coin Notes (Series of 1890 - with the ornate backs) and a few other nice notes.

I saw (and talked to) at least 8 or 10 fellow members of the New Jersey Numismatic Society, which was nice, as always. (By the way, our meeting this month - on Feb. 15 - will be at the Chatham Library, not the Madison Library, at 7:30.)

I also talked to ATS boardmember njcoincrank, who had come in on the red eye from Long Beach. He said that he though Long Beach was somewhat subdued, on the whole.

Once again, a very nice show - if you're in the area, you should make a point of attending the show!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I miss my Parsippany show. Like Bill, I used to go there straight from the airport after catching the red eye from Long Beach, but now the airplane lands in Florida instead. doh!

I miss my Parsippany show. Like Bill, I used to go there straight from the airport after catching the red eye from Long Beach, but now the airplane lands in Florida instead. doh!

I think this is the first time that I ever witnessed David making a joke since I have been registered. :roflmao:

Chris

I think this is the first time that I ever witnessed David making a joke since I have been registered. :roflmao:

Chris

It's the first time I have ever heard of someone expressing regret that they went to Florida instead of New Jersey. :o

I wish I could go to that one day show.

As an "old guy" I remember when the Parsippany show started back in the mid 1970s. It was held at a Holiday Inn that was on Route 10. I went back a couple of times when I was traveling on business circa 1980, but have not been since. Sounds like its big enough now to yeild a decent coin now and then.

Back in the 1970s there were a couple of surprises that come out of it. One was an 1838-D $5 gold piece that turned out to be one the finest known. The other was Gobrecht Dollar that turned out to be misattributed. The dealer thought it was the "common" varieties when it turned out be one of the rare ones. Stuff like that could happer before the days of slabbing.

I didn't buy either one because I was kid out college making $12,000 per year and having trouble paying the high rents in northern New Jersey at that time.