• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade: 1885-O Morgan ~~~Grade Posted!!~~~

24 posts in this topic

I assume those diagonal lines on the obverse are scratches on the plastic. I can't tell if those are bag marks or something else under the scratches, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say 64.

Chris

I'll give it a 64. Those "scuffs" of on chin I've seen on practically every year Morgan out there.I'm no Morgan expert but I say they are roller marks(I think). I do know they must be mint caused because of how prevalent they are over most of the dates. They really come out looking very exaggerated in photos. I've got a dozen or so different Morgans with the same lines going in the same direction.I've seen them on up to MS 66 Morgans.

I assume those diagonal lines on the obverse are scratches on the plastic. I can't tell if those are bag marks or something else under the scratches, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say 64.

Chris

I totally agree. Also, I like the rim toning, reminds me of one I have in an old Fatty. This one in a Fatty as well?

Under Closer Scutiny :o)

I think that the scrape is on the holder but there is some hits underneath that and some field issues

Excellent strike for an "O:" mint coin

NICE NT rim tone color

MS64 +

Okay I realize that the pictures are not that great (they are the sellers pictures) and

guessing the grade may be hard. I will post better pictures when I get the coin in hand.

Okay I realize that the pictures are not that great (they are the sellers pictures) and

guessing the grade may be hard. I will post better pictures when I get the coin in hand.

Jaime, when you get it, could you give us a close-up shot of the date? It looks like a slanted date with the "5" closest to the denticles, and I'm wondering if it is the VAM-9 with a spike on the inside of the lower loop of both 8's and another spike on the outside of the "5" near the opening of the loop. It is listed as a DDO, but to me, it looks more like an RPD where they accidentally used the wrong size punch.

Chris

I'd be interested to know if those chin striations are on the slab or on the coin. They look like typical wheel/coin counter marks. Normally wheel marks would be BB'd. So the marks must be on the slab. Let us know.

Carl

I'd be interested to know if those chin striations are on the slab or on the coin. They look like typical wheel/coin counter marks. Normally wheel marks would be BB'd. So the marks must be on the slab. Let us know.

Carl

Agreed - My money's on marks on the holder as well

Carl

Looks like they are only some "luster rubs" to me.

OK I'll bite. What is a "luster rub"? I've had two Morgans BB'd with the same type of marks. Explanation---wheel/coin counter marks. If the marks are not on the holder they are clearly coin wheel/counter marks. Help me understand.

Carl