• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you serious!!

18 posts in this topic

Gee, I REALLY screwed up at the recent FUN show. I found a 1922 Grant with star commemorative gold dollar in a PCGS Grant no star holder. I asked the dealer to have it re-holdered. Darn! I just didn't think. doh! That puppy had to be worth at least 8 and 9 times the normal price because of that MAJOR error by a MAJOR grading company. (:

Wow.. first mint wrappers making coins more expensive.. now grading goof ups. The next big scam will be people pulling coins from holders and swapping them.

Now we know that there are two ways to get a "gift" from the grading services. One is an optimistic grade, and the other to have them mark the wrong information on the holder. Think of what I’ve lost over the years by having those mechanical errors corrected.

dang they can keep messing up if there is a profit to be had for them jeje glad i joined again this yr. and i think ill send in at bussy times for a better chance at mess ups :P

kinda pays back for all the original gov packaging they keep of the gsa dollars (NOT). and while thinking of that why keep the boxes if they dont break out of OGP hard case.

The next big scam will be people pulling coins from holders and swapping them.

You weren't around for all the "error" proof sets back in 1999 were you? People were taking five 1999 clad proof sets, opening them up, shift the quarters around so each set was missing one state quarter and had two of another one. They were able to get $350 to $400 apiece for these "error" sets.

Then in 2000 they took the 10 coins clad proof sets, removed the coins and replaced them with the coins from a 1999 set plus the 1999 P proof SBA, slip them inside a 1999 box and they sold them as the "Extremely rare VIP 10 coin 1999 proof sets" with some and bull story about how they were made up for some VIP's at the end of the year. They were getting over $1K for those sets.

The next big scam will be people pulling coins from holders and swapping them.

You weren't around for all the "error" proof sets back in 1999 were you? People were taking five 1999 clad proof sets, opening them up, shift the quarters around so each set was missing one state quarter and had two of another one. They were able to get $350 to $400 apiece for these "error" sets.

Then in 2000 they took the 10 coins clad proof sets, removed the coins and replaced them with the coins from a 1999 set plus the 1999 P proof SBA, slip them inside a 1999 box and they sold them as the "Extremely rare VIP 10 coin 1999 proof sets" with some and bull story about how they were made up for some VIP's at the end of the year. They were getting over $1K for those sets.

Nothing would suprise me.. I was collecting very little at that time.

I've seen worse. I saw one 1950s era wheat cent in a MS68 RD holder that was obviously a proof. I contacted NGC who agreed and subsequently contacted the seller. Nevertheless, the coin sold for $1800 on eBay. Talk about buying the coin and not the holder...

I remember that.

I picked up a 1917 - D MS 65 FH SLQ in a 1917 holder.

It was a Heritage Auction . I paid what a MS 65 FH 1917 was going for at the time.

I sent the coin back to NGC to have it re slabbed correctly .

I picked up a 1917 - D MS 65 FH SLQ in a 1917 holder.

It was a Heritage Auction . I paid what a MS 65 FH 1917 was going for at the time.

I sent the coin back to NGC to have it re slabbed correctly .

You always have such good luck. :applause:

No Not always :-} I have picked up some real dogs along the way as well . :eek:

lol

Yeah, I remember that!