• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? best way to sell gold coins.Ebay or coin dealer.

12 posts in this topic

I inherited some gold coins which consists of 5- 4 gold sets from the mint with dates from 1988-1991 and a few $50 gold eagles with dates 1987,88,89.Also a bunch of silver eagles.I was wondering if a coin dealer would offer me more or would I be better off selling them on ebay.I'm not really a coin collector or I would hold on to them.Also,they were left to my wife and she wants to sell them.I did sell 1 set and 1 individual coin on ebay and thought I did pretty good.I just sent 5 coins to NGC for grading to get an idea how they will grade.Thanks for any replies.

A dealer would likely offer less than retail, since he then has to turn around and re-sell the coins for (hopefully) a small profit. If they were mine, I would offer them to an individual on the Money Marketplace forum or some other venue, such as ebay.

Best off selling them on ebay with good clear photos..

Dealer will offer you spot or just over spot on the sets. Some of those sets are going to attact nice bids looking for 70 coins, especially if your pictures are top notch and they can see the coins clear enough to have a shot at grading from photos

If you want to grade them, get a halogen lamp and check them for hairline scratches or spots. This will show up instantly under that type of lamp.

If you did good on ebay keep at it. Like I said with the pictures, it will definitely be a deciding factor on the final price

i would never sell any of my coins on e-bay.these people in this forum seem to know alot. i worry about COUNTERFEIT COINS.the people in here seem to know more than i would,trust these people they are great!!!

I would sell the coins on eBay with the absolute best photos you can manage as RareSov suggested.

List a few each week and NOT all at once. The smart bidders will check your feedback before bidding and once they see that buyers have received your coins and are happy with them you will get more bids. Save the best for last.

The $50 gold eagles should definitely be certified by NGC for the best price. I have a 1986W $50 Gold Eagle that I inherited from my father that NGC certified as PF69 Ultra Cameo. Yours should do just as well.

So far you have done everything right. Keep up the good work and welcome to the forum!

I want to thank all of you for your responses and for welcoming me to the forum. As I said,I'm new to collecting and the advise you gave was appreciated.I sent 5 coins to NGC to be graded and I think I will have all the rest graded as well.I'm not at a point where I have to sell them and I'm hoping to hold them to I do.I think gold is going to go higher in the future and told my wife it might be good to just hold them,as it is actually her coins.They are beautiful coins and I'd like to keep them and collect more.Thanks again everyone and I'll keep you updated and will add the graded coins to the site where they list your coins.