• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever just stumbled upon a set accidentally???

24 posts in this topic

By this I mean have you ever acquired a few coins here and there....possibly for the purpose of selling these coins at a later time and then realized you have the makings of a good starter set? Did you then go onto build that set??

Please share your experiences here as I think that is what has happened to me :o

1954 be the year matey's :whee:

It sort of worked that way for me for my collection of the "old commemorative half dollars." I started out buying all of the Civil War related issues and did a display of them. Then I got interested in the rest. A few like the Cincinnati I bought just to “fill the hole.” That coin, which was made strictly for profit and commemorated nothing but that, “don’t get much respect from me.” But for a couple hundred I decided to own one.

Hmm...................................................

hm

hm

hm

hm

NOPE!

You must have had a hard time getting to sleep and bought something from Coin Vault.

1954 what?

Chris

Oh yeah.

Here's one. I started with the Frankies, then with the nickel, then some chowderhead was selling some nice toners, and here I am with the # 2 set, and I still have a couple of holes to fill (and some upgrading on the Frankies)...

Actually, I found a short set of Peace Dollars at my local coin shop. This set included the 1921-D and through 1925. I thought the breakup value was better than the coins, so I bought the set. Then I found a few other coins. The next thing I know I bought an album and filled it with the best Peace Dollars I could afford. Now, it's something I admire when I go through my coin cabinet.

Scott

Oh yeah.

Here's one. I started with the Frankies, then with the nickel, then some chowderhead was selling some nice toners, and here I am with the # 2 set, and I still have a couple of holes to fill (and some upgrading on the Frankies)...

That guy should be hung from a short rope....how about you send him those 4 coins back and I will take it from there :sumo:

:shy:

1954 what?

Chris

1954 Coins...that's what I stumbled on to......

I had purchased this 1954 Proof a couple of months back and I thought it might be fun to put together a complete toned Proof Frankie set....

axial2016.jpg

prooffrankie023.jpg

Then I picked up a few random coins on Ebay that ended up being nicer in hand than I thought they would be:

New004.jpg

New006.jpg

New002.jpg

New019.jpg

New023.jpg

New025.jpg

So now I am thinking I could put together both MS and Proof 1954 Toned coins which might actually be a lot of fun hm

1954 what?

Chris

1954 Coins...that's what I stumbled on to......

I had purchased this 1954 Proof a couple of months back and I thought it might be fun to put together a complete toned Proof Frankie set....

axial2016.jpg

prooffrankie023.jpg

Then I picked up a few random coins on Ebay that ended up being nicer in hand than I thought they would be:

New004.jpg

New006.jpg

New002.jpg

New019.jpg

New023.jpg

New025.jpg

So now I am thinking I could put together both MS and Proof 1954 Toned coins which might actually be a lot of fun hm

(thumbs u

That's how my silver Britannias set started. I bought a couple from gmarguli because I liked the design, one thing led to another, and I finished the set last year (with yearly updates).

Yes, sort of.

I was working on a Dansco 7070 certified Type Set, and that got me interested in Capped Bust Halves. Recently started assembling a date set of them.

I used to, but then I started putting the Danscos on a bookshelf!

In all seriousness, that's how I got started with Saints, just buying a few for bullion and because I always wanted one, and before I knew it I had a nice collection going which even led to me getting a plaque from NGC in 2005!

Some very astute stumbling!

Carl

Well I know what I like and what I am willing to pay so it's very calculated stumbling lol

Yeah! Have you seen that commercial on TV where the woman seated in a restaurant is trying to get the attention of the waiter, and he scoots right by? On his next pass, carrying a huge serving tray loaded with food, she trips him and he falls right through the window.............that was Shane.

Chris

PS. You know, Shane, now that Victor isn't around as often, I've got to take it out on one of my other buddies. :banana:

My Dos Peso Set in the sig line. I really didn't intend to complet the set, but it turned out fun since I had four of the six coins needed. I would up finding the last two after many years of looking on and off. I didn't think I would ever find the 1944 and 1946, but gold went up and some coins must have come out of hiding.

My first coin was obviously the 1945. In matter of fact I have about six or so, I have a couple 1920 from years, past. a couple 1919, and a 1947 I picked up about 15 years ago. I had a nice base without plans for the set. Then, thanks NGC! They put up a registry set, and I started to look again after looking on and off for a years with no luck. Now, looking back on it the set has become one of the most fun sets I've done. I know its not a US Set, but the criteria of not intending to build fits.

Carl

Well I know what I like and what I am willing to pay so it's very calculated stumbling lol

Yeah! Have you seen that commercial on TV where the woman seated in a restaurant is trying to get the attention of the waiter, and he scoots right by? On his next pass, carrying a huge serving tray loaded with food, she trips him and he falls right through the window.............that was Shane.

Chris

PS. You know, Shane, now that Victor isn't around as often, I've got to take it out on one of my other buddies. :banana:

I can handle it....plus I will get even at FUN..... :devil:

Carl

Chris

I can handle it....plus I will get even at FUN..... :devil:

Did you see my "Saturday Roundtable" thread in Numismatics?

Chris

It happened again....I bought a group of 6 NGC roosevelt dimes from someone at the FUN show and there was a knockout 1954S Dime in NGC MS67*.....the coin Gods and telling me something.....what could it be hm

Oh right...I should put together a Toned 1954-S Unc set doh!

Believe it or not, my date set of large-cents evolved this way, though I've since sold the set. I found myself picking up enough coins in lower grades but with decent surfaces to create a reasonably attractive run from 1794 - 1857, excluding 1799, of course, for which I used a replica.

I did really well selling the set, too. Since I had picked up most of the coins incidentally, and not with aggressive purchases, my cost into the coins was actually less than where I would have ended up had I been aggressively pursuing specific dates!

Sadly, I didn't and don't have anywhere near the resources necessary to collect by Sheldon number, so I sold the set some time ago.