• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New member saying hi, and needing a little help 1688-Naples, Sicily

3 posts in this topic

Checking in, I'm not a coin collector, my grandfather died over 10 years ago, and my parents, due to health reasons, have been unable to go through all of his stuff. I've recently come into possession of most of it including his coins. The thread about inheriting coins was most helpful, and I'd like to thank the OP for it. My grandfather wasn't a coin collector per se, but if something (anything) was old or foreign, he usually hung on to it.

I've searched the interweb which gave me all sorts of variations, but no explanations and no matches and used the SCWS 1601-1700, whose coverage of where I think the coin came from was deficient enough in the area to get me more confused than when I started (now if it was a German coin, I'd be all set with that book).

Here's the coin I think is a 10 grani coin from Sicily. Am I on the right track, or is there some tomfoolery here? :grin:

obverse.png

reverse.png

I believe your coin to be Spanish in origin. I'm not an expert on this area, but I believe Carolus II, and that coat of arms, are Spanish. The M mintmark below his bust is for Madrid, if I recall. That might get you pointed in a bit more correct of a direction.

Thanks for the tip, I went though all the Spanish coins and came up empty. Then the Empire coins, which led me to the the coins from Naples and Sicily. The reason I say Sicily is there is a SIC in the inscription on the reverse and he was Carlos II of Spain and Sicily, and Naples, and the rest of the Empire. The obverse and reverse also match coins from Naples and Sicily from that period, but never on the same coin. I did find a coin that was off by a year but contained G XX on the reverse instead of G X, which I assumed the G XX meant 20 grano and that's how I came up with the 10 grani.