• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought this AT POS Peace dollar on a whim ;)

21 posts in this topic

Well, David Hall says its AT anyways - I disagree!!! Bought this on a whim, looking through a well known toner dealer's inventory online today (graded by NGC). Give me a grade, tell me what you think - and be easy, this is my first Peace dollar! (No, for those about to ask, I am not considering collecting Peace Dollars) This one just caught my eye, for obvious reasons. Call it a little pre-gaming for FUN!

1924%20NGC%20MS64%203035581-010%20OBV.jpg

1924%20NGC%20MS64%203035581-010%20REV.jpg

I like it. Don't know if AT or NT but looks closer to NT to me. Does have a couple scratches and nics running around tho' and will have to say MS63. Nice coin tho'.

MS-65...AT obverse and NT reverse. The color intensity on the obverse at 10:00 just screams something, and I think it's AT, but could just be that 1 in a million...I like it anyways!

Sellers photo does change my view. Your photos have regular/high contrast. Seller has softened the contrast. Note how the neck scratch all but disappears and the rim nicks around LIBERTY are diminished in the sellers photo. There is a method to the sellers madness.

I'll never quibble with anyone on what they like in a coin. IMHO this is a MS63-64 that has been AT'd. Note the unnatural color progression and lack of shadowing on any of the devices.

I like it. Don't know if AT or NT but looks closer to NT to me. Does have a couple scratches and nics running around tho' and will have to say MS63. Nice coin tho'.

I agree (thumbs u

Ps nice addition Jaime :applause:

Sellers photo does change my view. Your photos have regular/high contrast. Seller has softened the contrast. Note how the neck scratch all but disappears and the rim nicks around LIBERTY are diminished in the sellers photo. There is a method to the sellers madness.

I'll never quibble with anyone on what they like in a coin. IMHO this is a MS63-64 that has been AT'd. Note the unnatural color progression and lack of shadowing on any of the devices.

They are all sellers photo's. I just ordered the coin, about 10 minutes before I started the thread.

And this is incredibly natural toning. First off, the progression is exactly what one would expect, and defines rainbow toning - note the full rainbow beneath the motto and at k12. Sometimes, with thick toning like this, the devices are not shadowed - remember, each series is different. You are expecting Morgan-like toning on a Peace, and that just does not happen.

I'm definitely not an expert and I don't see the natural progression you are referring to. I'm sure there are forum members that have much more experience in toning than I do. However, I've often wondered why toning on Morgan Dollars should be any different than toning on Peace Dollars. Both are 90% Silver 10% Copper. I've also noticed that the majority of vividly toned coins in the market across all coin types are not rarer issues. Of course, time and storage conditions are factors. Perhaps comparing toning on the 1921 issues will give some insight--I've never seen a wildly toned NT 1921 Morgan and no one would mess with a MS 1921 Peace Dollar. I'll check the net and see if I can find any examples.

Whatever, the AT v. NT debate will never be fully resolved. It all comes down to what you like and what you want to collect. Still a nice MS63-64 Peace Dollar.

Have fun with what you like.

That scratch on the neck makes it a technical MS-63, but I think it bumps up to MS-64, because despite Hall's damnation of all naturally toned Peace dollars, that's a fabulous coin!

Great guesses everyone, and you were all pretty close. NGC graded it MS-64, and I believe that James is spot on when he says its a 63 with a bump for eye appeal. Either way, I'll know better when I see it in hand!

1924%20NGC%20MS64%203035581-010%20FS.jpg

Ringing in the New Year with the clink of silver, eh Jason?

Pleasant looking Peace dollar.

Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!