• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

End of year coin rolling ceremony

12 posts in this topic

Hi, guys.

Been a long time since I've been around. Exceedingly busy finally buying and fixing up our Florida retirement home in Ft. Myers. Good deals there and we're about 5 minutes from Sanibel Island, my wife's paradise. We hope to move down in about 3 years and until then, it's rented as a seasonal vacation home. Lots of work, but phase one of "retirement plan" is done.

Anyway, been collecting mainly music foreign so eventually, I'll post over there...but today was the day I decided to roll all the change accumulated over the year. (Using one of those machines at the grocery store would have been a qhile lot easier, quicker and less painful in the finger joints but I'm not giving them 7%!)

Here's the breakdown with a couple of "barely significant" finds:

9 rolls of quarters,

6 rolls of dimes,

5 rolls of nickels,

14 rolls of cents,

2 Canadian quarters, both silver

4 Canadian cents

1 buffalo nickel, so black and corroded it took a while to figure out what it was and

2 wheat cents in the 1940's

1 slug

and what is in the scan below. The "white" thing was stuck to a dime but fell off before I rolled it. The Canadian cent is probably the highlight of the search.

Wishing you all a very Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year and much continuesd success with the collecting.

RI AL roll3-1.jpg

Wow, Tom. You mean THEY count it for you? Heck, it's almost worth the drive to Chelsea. Not too far from the sticks of RI! Here, the bank won't accept them unrolled, and you have to put your ACCOUNT NUMBER on each roll. That is my bank in Blackstone MA.

I recent;y opened an account at Bank of America (about 1/2 mile from here because I needed a checking account accepted in RI and Florida because of buying the Florida house. I don't know what THEIR policy is, but I'm itchin' to find out. If they don't take rolls, I'm gonna' be a bit annoyed that I wasted so much time. But it was fun anyway.

RI Al

Wow, Tom. You mean THEY count it for you? Heck, it's almost worth the drive to Chelsea. Not too far from the sticks of RI! Here, the bank won't accept them unrolled, and you have to put your ACCOUNT NUMBER on each roll. That is my bank in Blackstone MA.

I recent;y opened an account at Bank of America (about 1/2 mile from here because I needed a checking account accepted in RI and Florida because of buying the Florida house. I don't know what THEIR policy is, but I'm itchin' to find out. If they don't take rolls, I'm gonna' be a bit annoyed that I wasted so much time. But it was fun anyway.

RI Al

Al, it looks like we're going to be neighbors since I live in Cape Coral. If you have any questions about the area, let me know. I've been here since 1978.

I bank at BoA, and I never have a problem returning rolls. Also, I don't have to write my name or account # on each roll. You might also want to open an account at Southwest Florida Teachers Federal Credit Union. They have change machines that are free for account holders. But, be sure to maintain the minimum balance on your savings account, or you'll have a monthly service charge.

Chris

I lived off Mcgregor in a sub division called Town and River went to Cypress Lake high. Love Sanibel Island too

Haven't return since 84. Must have grown plenty

Lee County was the fastest growing county for several straight years as I recall

Cheer,

No coins to roll this year. :(

Wow. It's like old home day here!!! Everyone knows or is near Ft. Myers. While we probably won't be moving down for a few years, we're very excited about the house...especially that it is rented...and can't wait to return in April so we can start "personalizing it". Our village is right off McGregor too.

The teacher's Credit Union sounds like a great idea...being a retired teacher and all...not overly fond of Bank of America, too big and impersonal but after the initial aggrevations of opening the account online (not recommended unless you LOVE hassles), all is OK now. They are VERY security conscious with online accounts. That's a good thing. Also, the need NOT to write account numbers on rolls of coins is a good one.

Have a good one.

RI Al

I lived off Mcgregor in a sub division called Town and River went to Cypress Lake high. Love Sanibel Island too

Haven't return since 84. Must have grown plenty

Lee County was the fastest growing county for several straight years as I recall

Cheer,

No coins to roll this year. :(

Town & River is still there. McGregor Blvd. used to be the main route to Sanibel, but it has been replaced by Summerlin Rd. which was intended to be a limited access route about midway between McGregor and Cleveland Ave. (US41). McT's restaurant is still one of my favorites on Sanibel. They've also built a new bridge to Sanibel replacing the old drawbridge with a high span. No more waiting in your car for the sailboats to navigate the drawbridge.

Chris

B of A's policy is this: they accept rolled change, and they accept loose change. For loose change they generally bag it and ship it to a counting center and it takes about 4 days and it's deposited into your checking/savings account. Some branches have counting machines and can count on the spot.

Hey L1ncoln. Boy, I wish I knew that a few days ago. Well, I'll bring in my rolls to BOA on Monday and see if they are pleasant or not so happy. Actually, since BOA is the closest bank to the RI house and my Florida house, I would like to strike up a "friendly" relationship in case I can convince tellers to watch out for "goodies". Time will tell.

Thanks for the tip!

RI AL

For loose change they generally bag it and ship it to a counting center and it takes about 4 days and it's deposited into your checking/savings account.

Unless BoA has changed their procedure for this service (speaking only of Florida), loose change is outsourced to a firm like Wells Fargo, Brinks, etc. and there is a percentage deducted for this service.

Chris