• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is 1926-S the most frequently overgraded buffalo nickel in TPG holders?

4 posts in this topic

Time and time again, as I catalog these coins, they always seem to be ten points overgraded, and the problem that I perceive is not reserved to (ahem) PCGS. At this moment, I am looking at an EF-40 certified coin that actually does have a full horn, but that should not be sufficient all by itself to warrant an "extremely-fine" grade. Simply put, the balance of the details are no better than VF-30 at best!

This seems to be something I've noticed for years, and no other issue in the series gets this kind of heavily slanted "benefit of the doubt", with the possible exception of 1921-S. We all know these issues were production nightmares, but that doesn't mean they should be graded differently from other issues, does it? It is the reason why I have never been able to buy a certified example of either date - they always, always. look overgraded to me, yet of course, the seller always has the price maxed out.

Your opinions, please!

I agree, it does seem that these are overgraded, especially at the XF level. I think is has something to do with strike characteristics, but I will defer to the buffnick experts on that.

On a whim, I submitted the 26-S from my childhood collection, and it graded VG-8, so I KNOW that one is not 10 points overgraded ;) (I was actually hoping for a F-12).

I guess that's just the way of the world, James. Though I don't actively collect this series, perhaps I should submit some of my XF FH Buffs. Do you think they will grade AU? hm

Chris

Time and time again, as I catalog these coins, they always seem to be ten points overgraded, and the problem that I perceive is not reserved to (ahem) PCGS. At this moment, I am looking at an EF-40 certified coin that actually does have a full horn, but that should not be sufficient all by itself to warrant an "extremely-fine" grade. Simply put, the balance of the details are no better than VF-30 at best!

This seems to be something I've noticed for years, and no other issue in the series gets this kind of heavily slanted "benefit of the doubt", with the possible exception of 1921-S. We all know these issues were production nightmares, but that doesn't mean they should be graded differently from other issues, does it? It is the reason why I have never been able to buy a certified example of either date - they always, always. look overgraded to me, yet of course, the seller always has the price maxed out.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u