• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Morgan you may or may not like.....

24 posts in this topic

Fascinating dichotomy of grades! While MS-61 generally means "ugly unc", the NGC star "identifies coins with exceptional eye appeal".

So, I guess you have an ugly coin with exceptional eye appeal lol !

(And I do like it.)

And, here's my dilemma. I have another, different toning, but beautiful as well, higher grade. Which would you keep? I really don't need both of them. And this coin is actually more impressive in hand.

91023.jpg.8c6522dffd4daa1aefb2f4abe88cc77a.jpg

91024.jpg.08425b99046e6d6cceb89b1933e8e080.jpg

I like it also. What does the Obv look like?
Here's a pic of the obverse.

I'm wondering why it only received a 61. Is there something I can't see under the toning? It looks like there might be a couple of small hits to the face, but they don't appear to be severe enough to warrant a 61.

Chris

And, here's my dilemma. I have another, different toning, but beautiful as well, higher grade. Which would you keep? I really don't need both of them. And this coin is actually more impressive in hand.

Personally, I'd keep both of them, but I think you answered your own question in the last sentence.

Chris

I do like it and have owned many with very similar toning.....I like it better than the 63 but I agree I would probably keep both unless you really need to money as they are going to be big ticket items either way.....congrats (thumbs u

Nice coin, odd though that NGC chose to put the reverse side on the front of the holder.

Both NGC and PCGS sometimes do this - either by special request, or if the reverse is noteworthy. Its to feature the attractive toning, since this is obviously the best part about the coin. I have a reverse holdered Franklin with amazing EOR toning.

I think the 63 must have more mint luster underneath the colors of the obverse. The 61 looks better than its grade. I can't see if it has a lot chatter anywhere that one would normally expect with that grade. Luster - or lack of - may be one of the issues with the 61. As for me, I would keep the 63 trusting your opinion that it looks better in hand.