• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does a slab weigh?

23 posts in this topic

I would personally expect it to vary with a certain range because some of the slabs have more/less plastic filler depending on the size of the coin that they're supposed to contain. How significant that variation would be... I don't know. (shrug)

I came up with just shy of 40 grams (39.82g)

I weighed the slab and then subtracted the weight of the coin

This includes the white insert (EdgeView, in this case), the labels, etc.

Information is based on Morgan Dollar Slabs.

Old Soap Bar NGC Slab 41 grams

Last generation NGC Slab 38.8 grams

New ugly NGC Slab 38.9 grams

PCGS Slab 28.8 grams

Data based on average weight of 5 raw Morgans and average weight of 5 of each type of slab.

Size of the insert will effect the weight.

Now exactly why do you want to know the weight of a slab? Just curious.

I was shipping a slabbed coin (Au 58 1907 V Nickel) I sold on Ebay and needed a weight estimate for shipping cost.

Thanks for helping me

Cheers!

I was shipping a slabbed coin (Au 58 1907 V Nickel) I sold on Ebay and needed a weight estimate for shipping cost.

Thanks for helping me

Cheers!

If you put a slab in the small bubble mailer (4x8) it will come out to 2oz. Unless it is a bigger dollar coin.

Thanks for helping me

Cheers!

If you put a slab in the small bubble mailer (4x8) it will come out to 2oz. Unless it is a bigger dollar coin.

Excellent Jamie! Hey, when you gonna fill that 1952 slot....driving me nuts :ohnoez:

Thanks for helping me

Cheers!

Excellent Jamie! Hey, when you gonna fill that 1952 slot....driving me nuts :ohnoez:

(shrug) I haven't found any that meets my tough standards.

I have passed on buying 11 of them so far. 1952 was a tough year.

Collecting coins that you love is not a race.

Thanks for helping me

Cheers!

(shrug)

Collecting coins that you love is not a race.

I meant ...

"when you gonna fill that 1952 slot....driving me nuts" ;)

Information is based on Morgan Dollar Slabs.

Old Soap Bar NGC Slab 41 grams

Last generation NGC Slab 38.8 grams

New ugly NGC Slab 38.9 grams

PCGS Slab 28.8 grams

Data based on average weight of 5 raw Morgans and average weight of 5 of each type of slab.Size of the insert will effect the weight.Now exactly why do you want to know the weight of a slab? Just curious.

Any updates on old/recent PCGS slabs and/or the most recent NGC slabs, too ?

The weight of a slab depends on the number of elephants that are encapsulated within.

Generally with a sandwich mailer and a Morgan and a basic utility envelope, it would always weigh more than 3 oz.. And the CAC sticker could easily push it toward close to 4 oz..

Generally with a sandwich mailer and a Morgan and a basic utility envelope, it would always weigh more than 3 oz.. And the CAC sticker could easily push it toward close to 4 oz..

Not sure how much a CAC sticker weights, but I am going to say probably a fraction of 1 gram.

I got a digital scale and it is showing a weight for a 2013 Buffalo Reverse Proof in the Black NGC slab as 70.82 grams. A Morgan Silver Dollar in an OGH Version 4.0 PCGS slab checks in at 54.71 grams.

Doubt any slabs weigh over 75 grams. Unless it's a special gold coin weighing more than 1 ounce -- Mexican Peso, SS Central America re-strike -- they should top out in low-70's.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roger's wit notwithstanding, an NGC slab of the standard size will vary slightly in weight, due to the size of the opening within the core piece that holds the coin. One for a silver dollar will weigh less than one for a half dime, as the former has less mass.

One thing is for sure, they aren't getting any lighter, must be the new security measures. And when a group of them arrive at my mail pick-up, we generally need two very strong men to lift them off the floor or a hydraulic lift. I keep telling the guys there is a hernia rule, to be careful when lifting them. And I always try to get PCGS not to ship the coins in the blue box, which adds cost and makes the coins a real challenge to lug around.

Roger's wit notwithstanding, an NGC slab of the standard size will vary slightly in weight, due to the size of the opening within the core piece that holds the coin. One for a silver dollar will weigh less than one for a half dime, as the former has less mass.

Yes, but if the slab type is constant and we know how much the coin weights then we can deduce what the empty slab weighs, double-checking for different coin types.

That would be useful I think.

One thing is for sure, they aren't getting any lighter, must be the new security measures. ...

False. The newer PCGS slabs are noticeably lighter than the previous ones, even though they are a little bulkier.

I weighed the current NGC slab (I presume it hasn't changed in the last few years) for a 1 ounce Buffalo and a 1/2 oz. Libertad gold coins.

If anybody else has a digital scale and has fractional gold coins in the newer NGC slab I would love to see what the 1/4 and 1/10th ounce weigh.