• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Oregon Trail a 'So-Called-Dollar' ?

13 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

Ran across this the other day. It's a little bigger than a half dollar.

OT-mem.jpg

I was wondering if it qualifies as a so called dollar.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

id like to think i saw that listed in the scd book. i used to have a link but cant find it :( it had a good look up system for each type and yr.

It isn't listed in either the 1st or 2nd Edition of the SCD book.

What I can't understand about this medal is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Oregon Trail. The Pony Express ran from St. Joseph, MO to Sacramento, CA.

Chris

it looks great and yes it qualifies as a so-called dollar but it is not listed yet

as many are'nt listed

more than likely if there ever is a third edition it will eventually get listed

These are not "officially" so-called dollars, but are frequently collected alongside that series. They can be found in exceptionally nice grade, but that one appears to have suffered a little environmental damage. Although fairly common in my experience, I like the design.

There's a post here started by James and I gave a bit of information about this series Hoag-Whitehead So-called half dollars...I'll see if I can find it, I posted pics of my set in a Wyate-Raymond card.

There's a post here started by James and I gave a bit of information about this series Hoag-Whitehead So-called half dollars...I'll see if I can find it, I posted pics of my set in a Wyate-Raymond card.

Here is the thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=2335664&Searchpage=1&Main=124242&Words=hoag&topic=0&Search=true#Post2335664