• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace dollar rays do not converge at a point...

13 posts in this topic

rogermurdock.jpg

“OK Captain Oveur, think of the rays

of the sun converging on this basketball,

Victor, what’s the vector of these rays?”

All kidding aside, pretty cool, never even thought about that.

Interesting, Roger.

I actually just did the same analysis as you after reading this, and as opposed to you tracing out 7 rays, I traced every-other one (16 total). An few patterns emerged, starting with the RIGHT SIDE:

(1) The first ray shows no pattern with the others.

(2) The next set of 4 rays (remember, this refers to every-other one) actually all do intersect at the same point, or VERY close to it.

(3) The next set of 5 rays show a rosette-type pattern.

(4) Next two show no pattern.

(5) Next four show the rosette pattern.

The reverse I used was a 1922.

PeaceDollarRays.jpg

You have to put it into perspective. Where is the sun at? Rays can come from the sun in all directions if it is closer.

raysun.jpg

Just playin' devils advocate.... :devil:

MM

Interesting! Are ray angles different for 1921 vs 1922? Your 1922 coin rays seem more orderly than 1921.

Interesting! Are ray angles different for 1921 vs 1922? Your 1922 coin rays seem more orderly than 1921.

Could be, but I don't have a 1921 to work from, though.

Part of the issue could be the difficulty of tracing the rays themselves. When I traced, I noticed that some of the rays curved slightly, so I tried to match the beginning and end points. There's also the resolution issue -- I used a 390x390 pixel image to trace from. If you used a higher-resolution one, then you would likely be more accurate.

When I traced, I noticed that some of the rays curved slightly,

Maybe there's a neutron star behind the eagle...?

Of course the atmosphere does diffuse the light. It could have been cloudy the day. Remember, de Francisci was Italian... he could have had too much wine when doing the 1921 dies! :devil:

Roger, I believe that in your own book you pointed out that the 1921 dies were altered at the last minute to accommodate changed to the design and deal with relief issues. Maybe, when the galvanos were made for the 1922 coins, Chief Engraver George Morgan made the necessary adjustments to the rays.

Scott :hi:

The substitutive changes Morgan made to the reverse in 1921 involved removal of the broken sword and creation of a second olive branch, etc. He did some minor work on rays but did not reposition any.

For 1922 (LR) entirely new models were provided by de Francisci and the mint worked from bronze casts. Jim Fraser supervised and approved the work.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roger,

You've officially arrived at the point where you're looking at Peace Dollars way too closely. Pretty soon you'll be talking about VAMs! It's time to move on to another series.

Just kidding. We're all a little too obsessed with coin minutiae.

David,

Fortunately, it's only diversionary...keeps me away from idle speculation on 1942-43 experimental coinage.

Now---about that book on the number “2” on coinage of 1876….

RWB