• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change to Peace dollar motto in 1926. (Discovered by David W. Lange!)

6 posts in this topic

The following might be of interest to collectors of Peace dollars. 1926 produced one of the more interesting and enigmatic variations within the silver dollar series.

1926-motto1.jpg

1926-motto2.jpg

1926-motto3.jpg

If you would like a PDF file of the above, for personal or coin club use, please send me an PM with your email address.

Enjoy the hobby, not the hype.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roger,

Thanks for reviving interest in this anomaly, which thus far has received little attention from the numismatic community. It seems that unless there's a "rare" variety in which promoters can make a market no one seems to care about such changes. The fact that all 1926 dollars are alike in this one respect neutralizes the profit potential.

I have one minor correction to make. In fact, you correct yourself within the article by changing your early reference to a revised master "hub" to master "die" further on in the article. It was the 1926 obverse master die that was modified with hand engraving. The same obverse master hub appears to have been used yearly from 1922-28 before being replaced for the 1934-35 coinage.

You may want to include the original publication of my article among your sources. This was Numismatic News, 9-21-99.

PM sent.

Thank you Roger, for your time and your article. Most interesting and informative. Gives a different perspective of the times and happenings of the mid 1920's.

Jim