• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof or polished Morgan?

25 posts in this topic

I came across this Ebay auction for a so-called proof Morgan tonight for the 2nd time.First time it was pulled for some reason. Now it's active and ending tonight.Pretty low bids for a proof,But something isn't right with this coin and the seller is dubious too,as far as I'm concerned. It looks polished and I don't think it's even a proof. Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1899-P-PROOF-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-AUTHENTIC-PROOF-AA_W0QQitemZ220510719840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3357768f60

Does anyone think it's even a proof? I mean, Miss hubby guarantees it,doesn't she?
It's almost impossible to tell. And do you really care, with it being polished like that? If so, why? ;)

THIS COIN IS SUBJECT TO SELL BEFORE AUCTION ENDS.

In other words, if it does not generate a significant amount of high dollar bids, I will pull the auction to save my *spoon*

Return policy:

3 days after the buyer receives it

Money Back

Returns excepted only if I send the wrong item.

All sales are final.

Thanks

Does anyone think it's even a proof? I mean, Miss hubby guarantees it,doesn't she?
It's almost impossible to tell. And do you really care, with it being polished like that? If so, why? ;)

Nah.Guess I don't.Just curious I guess.

Someone won that thing for $450. I don't think they'll be very happy.

You know what? If they couldn't tell how messed up it was by the pics,then they probably won't even notice.Who gets a Proof Morgan for that price? They will be in for a shock if they send it in for grading.

You know what? If they couldn't tell how messed up it was by the pics,then they probably won't even notice.Who gets a Proof Morgan for that price? They will be in for a shock if they send it in for grading.

Agree. The pics show the cleaning in fairly good detail.

proof-2.jpg

What are some of the tell tale give a ways that informs me that this coin was previously “whizzed” (actually buffed) with perhaps a cotton buffing wheel and jewelers rouge.

If you look, you can see the radial pattern starting from the center of the coin leading out to the rims. The coin was held against the buffing wheel at a slight angle, where only half the coin was hit by the wheel and then rotated until the entire surface was buffed.

The sight of darkened areas leading away from the edge lettering is good indicator that this coin underwent some sort of polishing. I do believe the shadows surrounding and leading away from the lettering is residue from the compound that was used to bring out the imitation proof qualities.

Not the first time they sold this coin....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1899-P-PROOF-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-AUTHENTIC-PROOF-AA_W0QQitemZ220504273162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item335714310a

I believe the one being auctioned right now is also the same coin.

Looks like the same pics to me. Already sold for over a grand.

According to David Bowers in the Guide to Morgan Dollars there were 846 Proofs for the year 1899. I would think that a person in possession of such a coin if it were authentic would have graded it etc long ago. Also according to David Bowers there were workers where the Proofs were stored that were caught polishing the proof Morgans with Silver Polich and Furniture Polisg long ago. When caught the workers said that this had beein going on for some time. Apparently this only happened with the proofs.

Check out the return policy for this seller (only if sent wrong item). I purchased a mechanicaly cleaned Peace $ from this seller represented as MS and was only refunded after pressing the issue. They then changed their refund policy. I did not leave neg. feedback as I had already been hit with retallitory neg. feedback from another seller before the feedback policy was changed.

And the seller got a positive feedback for the first sale of this polished piece of junk

And he also sold it on Oct 22 for $610 and got + feedback

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220498671970

And those weren't the only times.It was up for auction for a day or so just before this last time and pulled. I don't know whether the seller pulled it or Ebay.It'll turn up again fairly soon.

No they won't. They won't send it in for grading. They will save it to offer to a local dealer someday far in the future who will tell them it's polished and then they'll call HIM a crook.

I emailed the seller. on it. Told him it wasn't a proof and that We've seen it listed three times. I eluded to the fact that one might think he's shady, but didn't quite point the finger...

here's his retort

You must have me mixed up with somebody else,

I sell with a return policy and with the way eBay wants a return policy now days, buyers on eBay are buying coins just to inspect them and then decide if they want to keep them.

So if you see me sell the same coin more then once its because I refunded a buyer and re listed the coin.

Does selling a returned coin make me a scam-er.

Thanks for your opinion

Also, I responded to that, saying that the coin wasn't proof and THAT'S probably why it keeps getting returned to him, but he never responded.

I sell on Ebay too. This person gives Ebay sellers a bad name!