• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewP in a New Area for me... 1818 Cent

10 posts in this topic

It's always scary for me to venture into an area with which I'm not too familiar. This coin certainly fits that area. It is really attractive in hand... and I do mean "in hand" as the coin is raw. This is the N-10 which I think is the most common of the 1818's; but that big ole crack has always attracted me to these pieces and now I finally have an example of one.

Any comments or info is welcomed, as this is a learning process for me. Since it's raw your "guess the grade" is as good as anyones ;)

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Here's different shots that didn't turn out too well, but do show a different aspect of the coin:

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

I have had a Randall Hoard 1818 offered to me localy, It is in a PCI MS63 holder if I am not misstaken. It is an attractive RB cent. It looks correctly graded.

What would be a fair price for something like this?

I have had a Randall Hoard 1818 offered to me localy, It is in a PCI MS63 holder if I am not misstaken. It is an attractive RB cent. It looks correctly graded.

What would be a fair price for something like this?

Green label or Gold label PCI?Be very,very careful with buying Gold label PCI coins.They can be a disaster. Look for altered sufaces etc. I would wonder why it's still in a PCI slab at all considering it's a pretty pricey coin in that grade. $500-$1000 is what your looking at for MS63 R/B.Te more red the higher the price.WE'd sure like to see a good picture.

I honestly don't remember which PCI slab it is in. I do recall that it is mostly red with some of the minor carbon spotting that a lot of these coins have.

I did look at it pretty closely, it looks nice and problem free with no cleaning that I could tell.

If I do end up buying it I will be more than happy to post pictures. lol

*edit* The main reason that it is in a PCI slab is because he bought it years ago and the owner has no desire to cross it over. To him "a slab is a slab".

from the photos

nice looking decent coin with blurry details due to late die state

heavily oiled/blue ribboned/care coated

very VERY choice au details