• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Received a Pop 1/1 Morgan Dollar from NGC today!

12 posts in this topic

Hey all - I usually hang out across the street, but today I wanted to post here because I received a neat coin back from NGC. It's an 1880CC dollar that I had variety certified. As it turns out, there are very few of these classified, so when all was said an done the pop on this coin at NGC is 1 with just 1 higher. It may not be all that much news - but I thought it was very cool smile.gif

Frank

68600-1880CC.jpg.4fcd0fef871d622627d1244018b46c8e.jpg

Welcome, Frank - nice coin!

I'd like to think that Arch is the reason for the civility of this forum. Stuff gets way too out of hand across the street - over here, the penalty box is just around the corner! wink.gif

Tell us more about the variety and what it means to a die-hard Morgan collector

Hi guys - it's certainly mellower here than across the street, though things haven't been to bad this week - yet wink.gif

What does this variety mean to a diehard Morgan collector? Beats me - that's what I was hoping to find out here. As for me, the coin is really cool. I've always loved overdates, and this one is visible with the naked eye which is kinda neat. In addition, because of poor die preparation and over used dies, 1880CC is full of different little quirks, to the point where there is no real "typical" 1880CC, just different varieties. On this particular coin, aside from the overdate and the PL surfaces, there is machine doubling on UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and the "CC's" are of the smaller 1878 variety, and they almost look like cursive "o's" because they are just about closed up at the serifs. Overall, it's a really neat coin, the fact that it's got a population of 1/1 kinda makes it even more unique for me, though I realize that doesn't mean much smile.gif Oh - one more thing - I did send this coin to NCS. When I got it in a GSA holder it had a lot of grainy stuff all over it due to storage, and the fields were really dull, though I could tell that there was "prooflikeness" there. The grainy stuff looked like silver dust. Since I didn't know what dipping the coin would do to the surfaces, especially with this dust all over the coin, I sent it to NCS and they did a really bang-up job - very pleased with the results!

Frank

1880CC3.jpg

Frank:

I know I'm a bit late on this, but I'll say its an awesome 80-CC. I'm a midgrade 63-64 Cert Morgan collector who buys the coin not the holder and I also own a 80-CC certifed by NGC as a 64 VAM 6 Top 100 8/7 low 7 not a rare as your Pop 1/1 coin. From reading your history of the purchase, our coins share similar paths. My was a prevous GSA holder piece and sent to NCS and onto NGC. You can see pictures on my registery name Upper Peninsula.

Mine has a 8/7 overdate that can be seen with the naked eye, probably from any early strike off the dies and also of note is a die scratch across the eagle's breast on reverse.

Good to chat with you, Eric