• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another German State Coin: 1865 Bavaria 3 Kreuzer

12 posts in this topic

Here's another German State coins I bought recently, an 1865 Bavarian 3 kreuzer, KM488:

368382-3kreuzer.jpg

I liked this coin much for the same reasons as the Oldenburg coin I posted a while back, just a nice clean coat of arms and an attractive oak wreath. This coins is a four year type and the 1865 is easily the most common of the four with 832,000 made. I'm a little concerned by a bit of green spooge by the "IS" and "H" in the legend "BAYERISCHE" but hopefully it can be removed. Catalogs for $7.00 in XF and $30.00 Uncirculated. A neat little coin, I had to fight gmarguli off for it.devil.gif

Bavaria is one of the more prolific coin makers of the German states and figures prominantely throughout German history. Key events are the creation of the Duchy of Bavaria in 1180 (ruled by the same family until 1918), the transfer of one of the then seven Imperial electoral votes from the Rhine Palatinate to Bavaria in 1623 after helping defeat the rebelious elector of the Rhine Palitinate at the Battle of White Mountain, the elevation of Bavaria to a kingdom in 1805 and the incorporation into the German Empire in 1871.

Why not add some comments or post you own German coin?

-JamminJ

Quiz for JamminJ: When did the German states or German Republic stop using Umlauts(diaeresis) marks over the a, o, and u on their coinage?

TRUTH

Hamburg, German states 1860, 1 ducat gold, 15,000 mintage, XF $400.

Just a guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

I'm gonna have to quit showin him ducats 27_laughing.gif

Quiz for JamminJ: When did the German states or German Republic stop using Umlauts(diaeresis) marks over the a, o, and u on their coinage?

TRUTH

Another quiz, here goes...

The final use of an umlaut I could find was on the 1932 Weimar Republic "Death of Gothe Centenary" five mark coin. The umlaut appears over the "u" in "funf mark," which is German for "five mark." Once the Nazis came to power in 1933 they seem to have switched from spelling the denomiation out to just using a numeral.

Overall German coinage seems kind of inconsistent with the use of the umlauts. Different coins from the same state may spell "konig" with the umlaut over the "o" or without for no rhyme or reason.

Go figure!

-JamminJ

Hi GDJMSP,

That's a fine looking ducat, especially with only 15,000 made that year! I like how they snuck the Hamburg coat of arms in on the shield.

If my request is too challenging, feel free to start the next "share a coin" thread and I'll do my best to respond in kind.

-JamminJ

Hey JJ -

It's not really that it's too challenging - but I only got so many coins 893frustrated.gif Although i do keep buyin 'em every now n then wink.gif

Some of you guys - well my world collection pales beside yours. Other than columnarios I've only had an interest in world coinage for 2 or 3 yrs. But hey - I'm a lookin - I'm a learnin - I'm a buyin - and I'm a gettin there grin.gif

Since we're sharing...Here's one of my fav's, actually a pair of 1901 Prussian 2 Mark coins. These are really pretty IMHO. My dad had these in his collection since his childhood; I would guess his immigrant grandparents gave them to him. I gave one of these coins to KoinKollector (Sean J.) because he sent me some nice stuff (seated stuff of course).

fdedf9ed.jpg

AFTERTHOUGHT:

I was wondering, any chance the German mint did a "300 Years Kingdom of Prussia" commem in 2001? Anyone know the German mint website??

And of course, another of my fav's. It's a 10F coin, worth some bucks because of the Paris (cornucopia) mint mark.

fdedfb80.jpg

I've always like the "Bird on Head" coins, it lends a certain gavitas to the King/Emperor. That crown was also featured on some of the German colonial coins.

AFTERTHOUGHT:

I was wondering, any chance the German mint did a "300 Years Kingdom of Prussia" commem in 2001? Anyone know the German mint website??

Nope - the Kingdom of Prussia was abolished in 1918 at the close of the first world war.

Thanks for visiting our dark corner of the forum, TJ!

-JamminJ