• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local (Topeka) Coin Show

5 posts in this topic

I went to my first coin show in about 20 years yesterday. It was a local show and I was surprised at the number of dealers. It was pretty well attended (as assessed by my limited experience).

It was nice that they gave kids a nice 50-state Quarter holder to collect the quarters. My daughter got one and we'll now have fun collecting the state quarters.

I was dissappointed that they did not have any really nice buffalos. I am working on the short set for the registry.

I told my six year old daughter she could get a coin or a 1-oz silver bar if she wanted. She passed on all of them and purchased a civil war bullet. It surprised me. Passed on the shiny coins and settled on a dusty old bullet. Not your typical girl.

The good thing is it gave us an opportunity to discuss the history of the civil war.

She enjoyed the show too.

Great stuff Gunsmoke! When I was a kid, I also had a keen interest in the Civil War and still have a couple of old bullets that I bought at Stone Mountain in Georgia. In fact, I happened across one yesterday in a box of rocks I collected as a kid!

It's a wonderful thing what you are doing with your girl. I love doing that kind of thing with my own. When given the time with a dad or mom, it's extraordinary what kinds of questions and insights they will arrive at. smile.gif

Hoot

She took her bullet to school to show her teacher. History is always more enjoyable when you can experience it as opposed to reading a text book.

What was nice about the show is that the show organizers and many of the dealers treated the kids special. From handing out the 50-state coin book, to letting her hold a 5-ounce gold nugget.

Of course, there were a few dealers that not only ignored her, but me too. They must have missed the lesson on customer service.