• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COIN RESTORATION EXPERIMENT

3 posts in this topic

I found a 1990 Silver Eagle that was water damaged from Hurricane Andrew. It was very black and tarnished looking. I placed it in the oven and it turned silvery white again but it looked faded and the luster was gone from the coin. I figure the coin is not worth anything. I placed it in a rock tumbler to see if the extremly fine lapping compound will bring back the coins brilliance. I will check on it next week. It should remove about .001" of the coins surface. What do you think the results will be next week when I check the coin again? Will it be in better condition than when I started this process?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Coinoholic-

Thank goodness you are experimenting on cheap coins smile.gif

Forget about luster on this one. It's over. Your best chance now is to go for good color. Try baking it inside a potato, or exposing it to sunlight for a few weeks. It would be cool if you posted before and after pics.