• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More newps -- numismatic literature!!!

13 posts in this topic

Stack's is having a 30% discount if you order $100 or more.

Here's what I picked up today:

* The United States Trade Dollar, by John Willem. 1965. Seems like a nice secondary source of information on the general topic of trade dollars.

* The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dimes, by Al Blythe. 1992.

* Same as above, but for Dimes, by Brian Greer. 1992.

* United States Ten Dollar Gold Eagles, 1795-1804, by Anthony Taraszka. 1999. Hardbound special edition, #300/300. Signed by author. Includes 8-3-99 errata.

* The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars, by Glenn R. Peterson, M.D. 2000. Spiral bound, and includes undated errata. (I wanted the hardbound book, but that's not easy to find.)

I also wanted the Miller book on Early Half Eagles, but that was out of stock.

EVP

Greers book is ok... not great....ok. Pretty sad tho, that its one of the most up to date books on the subject, not talking into account anmything the LSCC puts out. Id say pick up Ahwahs book, but Fortin has a E-Book coming out pretty soon. You wouldnt happen to know when? Last I heard it was winter, this year.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Save your money and skip the Miller half eagle book, unless you want it just for completeness. It's a very disappointing book, quality-wise. On the other hand, you'll love the Taraszka book. It's quite well done.

David,

What would you recommend as a sub for the Miller book? Early Half Eagles are on my horizon, as is Territorial Gold. Can you recommend something for that as well?

What I want is enough information to satisfy my sense of history, up-to-date variety attribution, rarity information, census of top specimens, strike characteristics, etc.

Thanks,

EVP

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For all USA gold coins 1795-1834 there's one book that can't be beat: Q. David Bowers' sylloge of coins in the Harry W. Bass Collection. This book is available only from B&M, but it's easily worth the money. It's so good that NGC briefly considered attributing early gold by Bass Sylloge numbers, but we ultimately decided that there weren't enough serious collectors of these coins by varieties to warrant it.

For territorial gold, Kagin's book is still the standard. It's out of print, but Don Kagin has copies for sale.

For "classic" commemoratives 1892-1954, you'll need at least two books: The best study of the historical events depicted on these coins is Arlie Slabaugh's United States Commemorative Coinage. It's out of print but easily located from dealers in used numismatic books for around $10. For the history behind each coin types origin and development, the best book is Don Taxay's An Illustrated History of U. S. Commemorative Coinage. It's also out of print, though not too hard to find at around $20-25. Anthony Swiatek's book, published by Coin World and still in print, has probably the best information on striking quality, luster and other technical and aesthetic qualities of the coins themselves. It also has interesting facts about commemorative packaging and memorabilia not found in the other books.

Anthony Swiatek's book, published by Coin World and still in print, has probably the best information on striking quality, luster and other technical and aesthetic qualities of the coins themselves. It also has interesting facts about commemorative packaging and memorabilia not found in the other books.

I like Swiatek's book for all the background and packaging info it contains.

I bought Kagin's book (leather bound, signed), but I've never opened it for fear of making it no longer UNC. blush.gif I should probably sell it since I'm not going to collect private gold coins.

I didn't really care for the Eliasberg book - the Garrett book was much better.

IMO, other than the incomperable Silver and Trade Dollar Encyclopedia, just buying the Eliasberg catalog set is the best general reference item out there!

My wife asked me what she should get me for Christmas. I circled about 10 things on the Stack's list and handed it to her smile.gif

I agree with David, the Bass Sylloge is a very cool book. Lotsa good photos on glossy paper in addition to the usual high word count that you would expect from a Bowers book smile.gif