• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this for real?? or is it AT?

13 posts in this topic

Phil - Hard to tell by a scan but I have to side with EVP and err on the side of caution. Take a Franklin that is worth no more than melt, dip it a few times to get it shiney, then put it in a frying pan - it will turn the colors that are shown on the scan of the reverse!

I've never done this laugh.gif. Hoot

Okay, actually, I've experimented around with AT techniques with coins that have no value above face. It's one of the best ways to get a feel for what can be done and what you should look out for. blush.gif Most artificial toning is vibrant when heat is involved, and can sometimes mimick some forms of tissue toning. However, the patterns left behind are never the same.

The ANA has just come out with a new video on the subject.

Hoot

I wouldn't bid because I don't trust the seller. He allows you to supersize two photos and both are of the OBVERSE!!!

Based on this and his other coins I have to say AT.

Also, why isn't this coin in a slab? An $11 or $15 slab from NGC or PCGS would have gone a long wayto sell this coin. Just getting third party opinion that the toning is real would have added hundreds of dollars in value to this coin. That's got to say something about the originality of this toning.

Thanks everyone, I am not really a collector of toned coins. Not that there is anything wrong with toned coins, just that brilliant is my preference. This looked amazing though, and if I could have been certain it was naturally toned I probably would have gone to considerable expense to obtain it. Nice to have a place where we can get the advice of honest folks when we have to deal with unscrupulous dealers these days. grin.gif

Phil

Some of you have posted that it is AT, but what tips you off?

I looked at this guy's feedback and he has over a hundred positives and no negatives so one would think he was honest.

Not doubting your judgement, but just trying to learn more.

Thanks.

Some of you have posted that it is AT, but what tips you off?

From memory, here's what I noticed:

1. The scans seemed deliberately fuzzy

2. Unslabbed

3. Toning seemed too contrived

4. I don't recognize that kind of toning pattern on a Ben

EVP

My guess is AT and feel very certain it is. He has a quarter up for auction that has the same kind of toning. Another quarter has the golden toning and I can tell you how to do that one. A hundred ratings from unsophisticated buyers doesn't mean that much. Some people don't leave negs because they fear retaliation or don't want to admit publicy that they have been duped.

Heat AT'ed. Easy to do with an acetylene torch or a smelt box on modern proofs. I e-mailed the seller asking him if he tried to get them slabbed and all he said is the guy he bought them from said they were real.

I hope he was not taken to the cleaners frown.gif , as he has been a good buyer for us in the past.

TBT