• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Toned Proof Roosevelt Dime got BB AT!!

23 posts in this topic

In my opinion toning, whether natural or by some other reason out of your control still does not take away & should not take away from the fact that the coins are truely autchentic & not counterfits. And they should be graded accordinly & not BB'd, I think NGC needs to lighten up & do their job that they get paid for & that is grading coins for their condition & autenticity & stop just looking at them quickly & being so opinionated. Next thing from NGC is "improperly cleaned" they say that improperly cleaned coins can even come from & dry cloth, well that's fine considering if some of these old coins were in pockets that we all know are made of cloth. I just recieved the news that 3 out of 5 of my coins were not given a grade by NGC grade because of being improperly cleaned. I accept their decision, but the 3 that did not get graded were my grandfather's & he died in the early 1970's & the 2 that did I just had puchased recently from a private party.I call this funny, but then again maybe my Grandfather wiped his coins off with the wrong cloth. With all this stuff I have been reading lately about NGC I think I will be taking my grading business elsewhere. But then again I never act hastaly I will continue research on this topic.

In my opinion toning, whether natural or by some other reason out of your control still does not take away & should not take away from the fact that the coins are truely autchentic & not counterfits. And they should be graded accordinly & not BB'd, I think NGC needs to lighten up & do their job that they get paid for & that is grading coins for their condition & autenticity & stop just looking at them quickly & being so opinionated. Next thing from NGC is "improperly cleaned" they say that improperly cleaned coins can even come from & dry cloth, well that's fine considering if some of these old coins were in pockets that we all know are made of cloth. I just recieved the news that 3 out of 5 of my coins were not given a grade by NGC grade because of being improperly cleaned. I accept their decision, but the 3 that did not get graded were my grandfather's & he died in the early 1970's & the 2 that did I just had puchased recently from a private party.I call this funny, but then again maybe my Grandfather wiped his coins off with the wrong cloth. With all this stuff I have been reading lately about NGC I think I will be taking my grading business elsewhere. But then again I never act hastaly I will continue research on this topic.
Yes, further research would be a very good idea, as all grading companies do what you have accused NGC of doing. And it's likely that NGC is doing a much better job than you are giving them credit for. You are basing your opinions on an extremely small sample size and limited perspective.

If you pay for an Expert Opinions then you should take it OR keep looking for an expert's who's opinions match your ownexpert opinion .Hey that makes you an expert could of saved all that grading money.Think Vegas if you have the money they will let you keep rolling the Dice

The coin looks AT to me......have seen that color and pattern on many suspect coins....all proofs. Like Mark said....could acquire the toning in a legit way but to me.....looks AT all the way (shrug)

If you got that out of my post, then maybe you can read into things more than what are being said.Hey maybe you should get a job as a Tarrot Card Reader & take that to Vegas & try to make a living at it. Furthermore I am not paying for an opinion I am paying for a grading.And I also stated "I accepted their decision". And that was based on "their" expertise on grading coins & hopfully not on an opinion.

If you got that out of my post, then maybe you can read into things more than what are being said.Hey maybe you should get a job as a Tarrot Card Reader & take that to Vegas & try to make a living at it. Furthermore I am not paying for an opinion I am paying for a grading.And I also stated "I accepted their decision". And that was based on "their" expertise on grading coins & hopfully not on an opinion.

Well as much as grading is a science, the grade given is still an opinion based on that graders interpretation of the science.

As a matter of policy and customer relations, the grading companies should now automatically transfer genuine, but ungradable coins to their “genuine” or “NCS” grading departments. Certifying that a coin is genuine has value. A body bag is a piece of *spoon* that has no value. When a grading company unfairly sends a coin back in a body bag, they don’t seem to comprehend how much damage that does to their customer goodwill.

I have considered joining the grading service collector organizations, but have not done it because the “free” grading service that comes with them is worth NOTHING, ZERO, NADA to me. Having access to grading census information is worthwhile. When I was a dealer the “gifts” that I used to get from some over graded coins more than offset the bad body bags. But now as a collector, I buy coins in the holder I want ONLY. For a collector, sending coins in for grading is an aggravating, expensive and ultimately unrewarding process.

Nice looking coin.

I recently had a raw 1904-O morgan come back as AT. I disagreed.

I sent it back a couple of weeks later with some other coins and it is on the way to me as a MS64. Much better.

If you believe in the coin, resubmit it. It can get expensive.

I do not have any pics to help, but resubmit is your best bet.

...If you believe in the coin, resubmit it. It can get expensive.

In the case of lower value coins, in particular, I believe that "your best bet" is NOT to resubmit them. But rather, simply enjoy them as they are, while saving yourself some money and potential aggravation. Far too many submitters spend more money on the slabbing and postage than the coins are worth.

Cannot disagree that the expense on lower valued coins is not always fiscally sound. He must of wanted in a slab to begin with, or why even submit?

I wanted the 1904-O to be slabbed because of the beautiful toning and I wanted it for my registry set.

Utlimately, it is up to OP'er if he would like to send it back it in; regradless of the expense if that is what his is seeking.

We all collect for varied reasons. Point is, we all must make those decisions based on what each likes, not on what others think.

If you just showed me the images of just the 1962 PR and asked me, AT or NT, my immediate gut reaction would be in between those two or better yet, undecided. The 1954 dime has the transition colors of a naturally toned silver coin and I do believe that to be 100% natural toning.

The 62 probably is natural, but presenting this to a grader they might look at the wondering color scheme and just bag it for not being 100% positive the color has not be manipulated in some manner. I still like the look and I’m sure one day you will get this graded, but by whom?

Good luck.

Thanks for the comments.

I would have never sent it in if I thought it was going to get BB.

So far I only have 5 BB's on my record.

I will most likely not be sending it back into NGC.

I will be putting it into one of my self slabs.

...If you believe in the coin, resubmit it. It can get expensive.

In the case of lower value coins, in particular, I believe that "your best bet" is NOT to resubmit them. But rather, simply enjoy them as they are, while saving yourself some money and potential aggravation. Far too many submitters spend more money on the slabbing and postage than the coins are worth.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!