• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1807 Larger Cent - 170 Rotated Rev - Look at the rim?

19 posts in this topic

No... Is it damage and/or cud's or...

A little of both, but definitely far more damage than cuds, I think. This poor coin is pretty badly beaten up. I don't know what these go for, but I'm suspecting its not worth submitting.

Even with the rotation it's not going to be worth much because of the post mint damage that the coin has, which appears to have occurred many many moons ago. There are some cuds, but I think the problems the coin has outweigh the good the coin has going for it. Also, coins with rotated dies are not that uncommon in the 1800's and don't bring that much of a premium.

Dude, it's not worth getting all worked up about. I'm just telling you a fact. Rotated dies in the 1800's just aren't that rare. Today, you'd have something special. The fact is, the rim damage takes away any value that the cuds / rotated dies would add. Again, that's just me, and no I don't have any in my collection but I've seen a plenty.

Rotated dies in the 1800's just aren't that rare.

I agree, and this coin doesn't have cuds, either. That is all rim damage.

Unquestionably not worth the cost of getting into a slab.

And how many 1807 large cent with a 170 degree rotated reverse do you have? Value is what someone is willing to pay for something that's worth something to them. Very neat error coin in my book... Thanks

This web site show 1807 large cent with a 170 degree rotated reverse is an R1 (over 1000)

http://www.rotateddies.com/

No problem on this end :grin:

It's going to NCS to get slabbed, I think it worth it...

That's the main part, as long as you are happy with the coin being in the slab then that's all that matters!

No problem on this end :grin:

It's going to NCS to get slabbed, I think it worth it...

This is a meaty coin, despite severe rim damage, and I dont see any reason not to have NCS encapsulate it for authenticity purposes.

Personally, I'd go with I G C here as they'll slab errors better in my mind. Your looking at what was a $80 coin, now is probably about $35 because of the error. I had a 1864 2c 170 degree rotation and sold it for $40 3 years ago (was all of a G-06).

I have (6) 180 degree 1864 and 1865 two cent pieces and several other ones less than...

Also a 1926 Oregon Trail 45 degree in UNC...

All going in to NCS first for grading, hopefully some will make to NGC :grin:

I understand your position. I have a 1878-CC that has a clocked error of 65 degrees. It will not qualify as a major die error, but it is slabbed as an error and designated as such. Very cool mint mistakes.