• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

04-O Morgan

17 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just wondering what you all think this could grade.If you've seen it before,I posted the same pictures at new acquisitions thread. These are the sellers pics,but they are very close to the coin in hand.I haven't gotten any good ones for myself yet.The Obverse has incredible luster. Thanks

79158.jpg.14bb71005491363c73f91c36d62fea88.jpg

79159.jpg.4597c7d21f93feb745aa06c8bb886b2f.jpg

The obverse looks nice, but it just feels kinda wrong and may have been just lightly polished. Hate to say it but the reverse is garbage from that pic, unless all the stuff is somehow nice toning in hand. I'd bag it without seeing it in hand.

The obverse looks nice, but it just feels kinda wrong and may have been just lightly polished. Hate to say it but the reverse is garbage from that pic, unless all the stuff is somehow nice toning in hand. I'd bag it without seeing it in hand.
I see no evidence of the obverse having been polished and the reverse looks natural and perfectly fine to me. My best guess is MS64.

I see no evidence of the obverse having been polished and the reverse looks natural and perfectly fine to me. My best guess is MS64.

Wow.. and you said not worth slabbing my coin compared to that?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3142350#Post3142350

I really must be missing something. Granted the coin I have is not a key date... but come on.

Anyway, I love the natural look of the obverse of this coin, but the reverse is not working..

Wow.. and you said not worth slabbing my coin compared to that?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3142350#Post3142350

I really must be missing something. Granted the coin I have is not a key date... but come on.

Anyway, I love the natural look of the obverse of this coin, but the reverse is not working..

The images of this coin appear to be good enough to allow a decent view and grade guess. Your images of your coin don't allow a good view, and I can't tell if it's AU or unc.

The reverse isn't great,but it's not as blah as the picture. I think the Obverse is going to pull this one along. I highly doubt its been polished.Looked at it from every angle 10 times under 5 and 10x.No hairlines(I know they don't have to be there). Got a batch of 12 Morgans going in for grading tomorrow. Most I haven't posted here some I have. Let's see if the 3rd time is the charm or if I throw away another $200. I wanted to add a few IHC's to the order,but just ran out of money for now.

I'd grade it MS-64.

The 1904-O is notorious for weak strikes on the reverse and above Ms. Liberty's ear and very bright P-L to almost P-L surfaces. The strike in this piece is above average on the reverse, but not quite perfect. Therefore you see some weakness in the breast feathers, which I would interpret as some weakness in the strike.

My Concern was left wing rubbage ..

I agree on the overall good strike of the "O" mint though

The reverse bothers me also that it may be dip residue more than toning ...

However that being said .. Killer Obverse!

The reverse isn't great,but it's not as blah as the picture. I think the Obverse is going to pull this one along. I highly doubt its been polished.Looked at it from every angle 10 times under 5 and 10x.No hairlines(I know they don't have to be there). Got a batch of 12 Morgans going in for grading tomorrow. Most I haven't posted here some I have. Let's see if the 3rd time is the charm or if I throw away another $200. I wanted to add a few IHC's to the order,but just ran out of money for now.

Like I said, I'd bag WITHOUT SEEING IN HAND. Holding the coin and playing with magnification and light on your own can man a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. I've seen many a coin that look REALLY BAD in pictures but were nearly breathtaking in hand. Hope it grades, post the results when you get them.

-L1ncolnF4n

Details NOT attributed to an "O" mint coin are just too weak and

indistinct for me to go above a 63 ... My coin and the one discussed here

79173.jpg.b82fad9ded1a333826c12ac7872af905.jpg

I've seen a great many examples graded 64 (or higher) with strikes that were no better than the one in this thread.

MS-64, but worth a small premium, because in my opinion, that reverse is awesome.

We are so contrary James .. I Like the Obverse ahahah

I've seen a great many examples graded 64 (or higher) with strikes that were no better than the one in this thread.

I have too, but not of this year ,,, In fact mine I do not care for the breast feathering on it but the strike is killer on the obverse :)

MS-64, but worth a small premium, because in my opinion, that reverse is awesome.

It's funny James.When I got this coin, and I was about to post pictures,I said I bet James is gonna like this reverse. Even though he "hates" Morgans. This kind of "toning" is an acquired taste and it looked so natural to me(both sides) that I just had to get it. I paid about $55.Not bad I think.