• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3CS

25 posts in this topic

Please let me know what you grade this.

It is in a old NGC holder and wanted to hear what everyone else thinks.

Both photos are the same coin. One shot is tilted and the other is stright on.

Thanks

1871s.jpg

1871t.jpg

MS64 PL?

The first picture makes it look like a proof the second does not

but as you know I can be a little contrarian :insane:

PF-64 no CAM, but that's gut feel as much as anything. I can't get a good idea of the surface quality from those images.

(thumbs u

and if the coin has more hairlines in hand sight seen then might be proof 63 62

I'd guess, but I know the answer! And James, the fields are pristine!

Unless you have looked at the coin personally, and not just at the pictures, you can't support that statement. With these coins I need look at them with a 10X, I'm near-sighted! :o

Unless you have looked at the coin personally, and not just at the pictures, you can't support that statement. With these coins I need look at them with a 10X, I'm near-sighted! :o

He took the pictures Bill

He took the pictures Bill

Spot on baby, spot on. And by pristine, I'm not saying the coin is a 67 or 68, but it's pretty typical of an 1800's coin.

Updated the photos with the NGC labels.

now the question is what should I do with this?

And the answer is leave it as is.

This is a confusing coin one picture makes it look like a proof and one picture makes look like a MS coin - I do not know why I went the MS route .. probably because of the second pictures.

EITHER way I suggest sending it in for a grade review ... for a PL designation or a PROOF in a MS holder ...

Good Luck

1871 business strike Trimes are almost always PL and they are worth more than their Proof counterparts. I would give NGC the benefit of the doubt that they got the designation right and we can't tell from the images if the coin is under-graded or not. Therefore, I'd leave it as is.

Be careful! The determination of whether a three-cent silver is a proof or business strike is somewhat arbitrary. I had to research this rather extensively a couple of years ago when I cataloged a complete collection of proofs and business strikes, all in PCGS green-label holders (fabulous coins, by the way). I found that about a handful were probably misattributed, or at least could not be definitively attributed as indicated on the holder.

It is known that not only were dies for proofs and business strikes interchanged on occasion, but when the mint issued "proofs" to customers, they would liberally substitute nicer business strikes, AND they would go ahead and dump actual proofs into circulation. And, the planchets were not polished in the same manner as for the nickel pieces, so that characterstic can't be used to discern proofs from commercial strikes.

So to sum it up, I would not take any chance on that coin failing to get back into a "business strike" holder, since chances are that NGC has the same attribution issues as PCGS.

By the way, I LOVE the coin!

By the way, I LOVE the coin!

Me too ... So that means we are all RIGHT shooo I thought I was the only DORK in the crowd :acclaim:

Just to let you know, having held the coin in hand, I felt that it was a mislabled proof coin. For whatever that's worth.

Just to let you know, having held the coin in hand, I felt that it was a mislabled proof coin. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks everyone who posted Mostly everyone here thought it was proof as well as Sam and I that have both seen it in hand. Still not sure what I want to do with it and will probably just hold onto it for now. If anyone has other suggestions please post.

Would NGC, if the coin was resubmitted, be inclined to call this coin a proof, and maybe even a star! And, if that were to happen since there is a price difference between a PR64 and an MS64, would they refund the difference if they also decided the coin was a proof? Input would be appreciated.

potentially. They might not do anything on the star scenario. I really don't see why there should be such a price discrepancy between proof and business strike, considering proofs were minted in 1/3 the quantity..

Maybe minted in 1/3 the quantity, but most all of them survive today in higher PR states. You've got to think, were 1/3 of all mint coins preserved in there mint state? Me thinks not. That would be the discrepancy there.