• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Camera Broken.......What do you coin guys recommend?

11 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!!

Well my Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 Mega Pixels is broken. The memory card slot will

not hold down the memory card plus it will not read the memory card. I have had

this camera for less than a year!! :cry: But I didn't really like the pictures anyways!!

I would like to know what you coin guys would recommend as a new camera.

I would like to keep the new purchase under $250 because I just bought

Photoshop for my computer the other day.

Please show pictures of slabbed coins using the camera you recommend.

I didn't want to go to bestbuy and just start taking pictures of coins!! lol

PS I will not buy another cyber shot again, so far 3 have broken on me!!

Pretty impressed with Canon so far

Still playing of course

You should have software that came with the camera that will still allow you to use the camera for the time being via USB cable if you have one. It should have anyway :)

I like my Canon A560 but it's not the most consistent or maybe that's a user problem.Definitely can't go by what's on the LCD screen.If you do it comes out too dark. I paid $160 on sale. For $250 you can probably get one with a pretty nice Macro. I also used a lower priced Sony for a short time and I liked that one too.Some of my pictures are posted here.

I have a Canon IS S3 that is very nice. They are still going for about $350-400 on ebay but if you can find a reputable seller you can get a nice used one cheaper.

My experience says: stay away from Sony (and incidentally, that includes audio equipment).

I like my Olympus c-765 very much for coins and non-coins, and am testing out some Nikon equipment.

Well, I have a Canon Powershot SX100IS and I love it. Several of the board members have the same camera, it works great, and its about the price range you require.

I am one of the other guys using a Canon Powershot Mine is an SX110IS though. I like it alot but I am still learning how to use the manual settings. lol

I am one of the other guys using a Canon Powershot Mine is an SX110IS though. I like it alot but I am still learning how to use the manual settings. lol

So the auto doesn't work on coins!!

So the auto doesn't work on coins!!

Auto is not very good for coins. There are too many different circumstances when photoing coins. Manual settings are most commonly used to be able to set exposure, eperature, etc... Like with my camera, it has a super-macromode, but it only works in manual mode. You will find that if you have a camera that allows you to manually set these things (settings) you will see much better quality of pictures. Usually it will also take you a few dozen pics before you start learning what settings to use for diffrent type coins. The first pics usually look good with a nice camera, but time will show you, the more you learn about the camera, the better they will get.

I actually do use "auto" mode on my camera for coins (and everything else for that matter). It's ability to adjust very reasonably is one reason I like it.