• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade - 1864L IHC

18 posts in this topic

MS-64, brown.

The surfaces have been oiled with Blueribbon or Care, which not totally a bad thing because that helps to preserve the copper, especially in a slab. But most of the red that you see on the obverse is not natural, not that that is a bad thing so long as the coin is stable.

MS-64, brown.

The surfaces have been oiled with Blueribbon or Care, which not totally a bad thing because that helps to preserve the copper, especially in a slb. But most of the red that you see on the obverse is not natural, not that that is a bad thing so long as the coin is stable.

I remember using Care on a lot of my pennies when I was a kid.

Good catch Bill, as usual. I hadn't thought of that. It is in a top TPG holder and owned by a forum member. Some very good guesses. I will reveal the answer in a couple of hours.

OUCH on the shield

63BN

I'd still give it an MS-64, Brown. The shield thing is mint caused.

I saw it was raised but still oUCH :)

Well, Bill and a few others were correct. It is graded MS64 BN and is holdered by NGC. The proud owner is Dean1345. Thanks for your guesses and opinions. :applause:

Well, Bill and a few others were correct. It is graded MS64 BN and is holdered by NGC. The proud owner is Dean1345. Thanks for your guesses and opinions. :applause:

I can't really argue with the grade. The oily look was a 1 point detriment in my eyes, but I can certainly see it as a positive attribute for some, since it helps augment the luster.

whats going on with the shield?

It is a die break or die failure of some kind. The die may have been hit with something or more likely a small piece of metal fell out of the die (lamination) therefore causing that buldge.

Given the grade of this coin, it's really not important, at least to not me. If this were a "super coin" (e.g. MS-66, red or something) that it might matter.