• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your pet peeve regarding coins?

38 posts in this topic

On multiple occasions I’ve had B&M dealers tell me not to worry so much about a coin be cleaned or wiped. I hate that! I’m supposed to change my collection to fit their current inventory!?

On multiple occasions I’ve had B&M dealers tell me not to worry so much about a coin be cleaned or wiped. I hate that! I’m supposed to change my collection to fit their current inventory!?

Yeah they just want to move them!! I wouldn't like that either. I have never liked going into a B&M, they seem to always tell me what I want or what I need!!

I've been reading these posts and trying to figure out what really peaves me. I like Bills answer about the Mint. way too many coins for sure. I guess the only peeve I have is going into a coin shop and looking at a decent Morgan I'm interested in, letting the dealer know and first thing he does is "DIP IT" doh! before he hands it to me! YES, this has happened to me. I told him nevermind!

On multiple occasions Ive had B&M dealers tell me not to worry so much about a coin be cleaned or wiped. I hate that! Im supposed to change my collection to fit their current inventory!?

Yeah they just want to move them!! I wouldn't like that either. I have never liked going into a B&M, they seem to always tell me what I want or what I need!!

When the dealer bought these coins, he used the cleaning as a justification for his low ball offer.

Cleaned and wiped DOES NOT matter ... hm

until the time comes to sell! :o

Bill,

I am an admitted Newbie to this hobby. I also have an value/investment bent that is very frustrated. My pet peeve so far in this new experience of coin collecting has to do with price. The comment was made about B&M stores but there seems to be something else going on in the hobby that causes the B&M stores to act like they do.

eBay seems to be the main dumping ground of perfectly good coins that were abused in their long road to the auction site. eBay seems to single-handedly be a giant machine that attracts the worst behavior amongst "collectors" only looking for a quick profit, to hell with how I do it, attitude. So many coins have been cleaned, dipped, scraped, "toned", burned, smoked, rubbed, tooled, etc, etc. that it seems to me that good quality coins are jumping up in price because of a lack of good quality to collect!

I don't have unlimited means in order to have a pay-any-price-because-I-like-it attitude. That's great for multimillionaries who could care less for little people like me trying to enjoy a nice hobby with a look to, eventually, get a return on MY hard earned money! My pet peeve then is not just about eBay abusers of coins, but also the "to hell with him" attitude towards the little guy trying not to get ripped off! I guess I am going to have to start paying way, way up for what I want because that is what is happening in the coin market these days, the garbage is becoming much more numerous and the nice quality stuff (even in higher mintages) is becoming more rare. This, tangentially, seems to cause B&M stores to do whatever they can to pay for their overhead, driving cost for coins way up. I don't know if I would like going into a B&M but eBay is a minefield. I also don't like having to pay 2 or 3 times a catalog price just to get a somewhat common dime sized coin in unc. condition. The whole industry seems screwy.

Rant over...

rantrant

Goldenarrow