• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM 1890 O MORGAN

12 posts in this topic

Please grade my 1890 o morgan dollar.

Sorry about the plastic. I hope it does not make it imposible to give an opinion.

Thanks

Charlie

1890OFRT.jpg

1890OBK.jpg

Tough from these images - These are often so poorly struck that many flat spots exist that could show signs of rub/wear and an au coin or just be a result of the strike - Condition of rims makes me think yours is the latter, so I'll go with ms, even though it's really tough to assess lustre from these pics. Strike details are good for a 90-o, even like many 65s, but what looks like breaks in lustre on both obv/rev would be typical of many 63s -

Going to go with ms-63/4, but would really like another pic indicative of true lustre/patina..

If bidding on this from pics, would assume AU unless feeling lucky:).....

as high as MS-64 but in plastic you can't tell an AU from an MS

That was what I am thinking.At first I thought MS 62,then I thought,could be AU 58. I could do better pictures without the flip I think.

Lacks luster which leads me to believe it may have been dipped improperly at some point. As far as details, as the others say it is tough to tell in plastic but im going to go with 61/62

This looks like a scanned image, so I will go with a safe guess of MS-63.

Scanned or not my issue lies here ...

My opinion of course hehh

78426.jpg.8b7fb83e1724ccb65ecb06767dbadc26.jpg

This looks like a scanned image, so I will go with a safe guess of MS-63.

Scanned or not my issue lies here ...

My opinion of course hehh

Does look like some rubbing,huh?Good eye.

Thanks for all of your opinions. I will have to get the coin from my safety deposit box next week. I did do a scan of this coin as you see it before I put it away. I am not sure how best to picture a coin. Is a scan better or digital photo better. Can any one point me to a thread that explains how best to picture a coin.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Thanks for all of your opinions. I will have to get the coin from my safety deposit box next week. I did do a scan of this coin as you see it before I put it away. I am not sure how best to picture a coin. Is a scan better or digital photo better. Can any one point me to a thread that explains how best to picture a coin.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Supposedly scans are good for details and photos for color and luster. I use a good close up photo taken at the highest resolution on my camera then cropped and scaled to around 800x800 .I use photobucket to upload and link from there to here.

Supposedly scans are good for details and photos for color and luster. I use a good close up photo taken at the highest resolution on my camera then cropped and scaled to around 800x800 .I use photobucket to upload and link from there to here.

Thanks for replying to my question. I think I will use both methods the next time I ask for a grading opinion. Without the plastic of course.

Thanks again,

Charlie