• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which 2010 Cent Reverse do you like!!

Which one do you like?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like?

38 posts in this topic

http://www.coinnews.tv/New-2010-Cent-Reverse.htm

The process of finding a new reverse design for the 2010 Lincoln cent has entered a public phase with the submission by the U.S. Mint of 18 different design possibilities to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts.

On April 16 the Fine Arts Commission will meet as this issue of Numismatic News goes to press. It was established in 1910 and it is one of two public bodies that evaluate potential U.S. coin designs and then submit their recommendations to the Treasury secretary.

The other advisory body is the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee Its next meeting is slated for April 28.

Under terms of the 2005 legislation that authorized the four Lincoln reverse designs for 2009 and one in 2010 is a requirement that the reverse design be "an image emblematic of President Lincoln's preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country."

Also to be reviewed by the the Fine Arts Commission are five possible reverse designs for the 2010 Native American dollar. The coin features the familiar Sacagawea portrait on obverse, but the reverse design changes annually to mark Native American themes and culture.

ArtLargImg6601.jpg

Looks like you had a typo, Sammy G., but I chose that I don't like any of them. They are all terrible!

The CENT choices reminds me of being stationed in Bremerton, WA in the Navy. All of the women there were soooo daaamn ugly but they all thought that they were princesses. However, in reality, there was absolutely no competition considering that they were all ugly prima donas.

Of the 4 to pick from I liked the capital the best.

With it being a penny I think it would make sense to have an updated Lincoln memorial on the back.

I also love eagles on coins but really just didn't care much for this eagle.

Ohmygosh I love the shield design. I think it's the most classical of the bunch.

I don't hate any of them (but aren't they doing a Capital cent this year?) - I see how the American flag could get lost in translation with so many fine details (50 stars and all).

Ohmygosh I love the shield design. I think it's the most classical of the bunch.

I don't hate any of them (but aren't they doing a Capital cent this year?) - I see how the American flag could get lost in translation with so many fine details (50 stars and all).

I waving flag would be cool. If done correctly the stars could be made larger and easily seen. That flat flag example just leaves nothing to be desired. The sheild does have that retro look.. but the eagle is such a powerful statement.

I wouldn't mind see the shield either.

I'd like to know where the other 14 designs are. If these 4 are the best that the mint can do then I'm far from being impressed. :boo:

I chose 02 and 17 (capital, eagle). But, I suspect it'll be 10 just 'cause I like that one the least ... but it also has the wrong number of stars in that sketch (7x4+6=34 by my count ... was that the number of states in the Union at the time of Lincoln?).

I voted for the Eagle. I like the design of the eagle and also, if the reliefs are like the FEC, then this would be a hard coin to keep in an uncirculated state, of course, many years from now.

How about a big congressman's loafer grinding down on the backs of a few citizens?

Or an eagle flying off into the sunset while congressmen throw money at it?

No, I've got it...a taxpayer chained to a giant block of stone labeled public debt with a pair of these:

851701_manacles_1.jpg

Not really a fan of any of the designs.

Excuse me but how are ANY of these "emblematic of President Lincoln's preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country"? The only one that comes close to that requirement is the flag, and only because it has more stars on it that there were states under Lincoln, so it shows either the Union was kept together and grew, or maybe it didn't and the north just got more states over time. No way to tell which from the design, but it still comes the closest.

Mint officials would love it. All flat with no relief.

Man o Man I cant believe you said that!!

........sorry if you don't agree with me. but i have seen lincoln on the cent for a long time and i STILL think it's time to change to someone else! after all, it's not like he'll be forgotten, not at all, he's still on the five and commemoratives and medals etc. etc. :popcorn:

I voted for the eagle but being on such a small coin, I'm afraid a lot of the detail in the feathers may be lost. This appears more intricate than the flying eagle small cent.

For a 19mm coin I think the shield with the one cent banner might be the most attention grabbing to us whose eyesight is aging. The third choice is growing on me but the design, as is, resembles a token at first glance. Given the value of a cent today, this may be appropriate.

In my opinion, an American flag does not belong a cent coin. These are often found on the street and are disregarded by many who see no reason in picking up a lonely cent. I fear that we are potentially denigrating the flag by its appearance on this low denomination cent.

Finally, the capitol dome does nothing for me as a coin design. Too busy, IMO, for a cent.

I voted for the eagle but being on such a small coin, I'm afraid a lot of the detail in the feathers may be lost. This appears more intricate than the flying eagle small cent.

For a 19mm coin I think the shield with the one cent banner might be the most attention grabbing to us whose eyesight is aging. The third choice is growing on me but the design, as is, resembles a token at first glance. Given the value of a cent today, this may be appropriate.

In my opinion, an American flag does not belong a cent coin. These are often found on the street and are disregarded by many who see no reason in picking up a lonely cent. I fear that we are potentially denigrating the flag by its appearance on this low denomination cent.

Finally, the capitol dome does nothing for me as a coin design. Too busy, IMO, for a cent.

Good point about the flag...

Congress has assumed all control over portraits on circulating coinage except for the dime and half-dollar.

Seems like a lot of anti-Obama in here. Guess we should bring Bush back and put his face on it... lol The coin would need a "Duh" on the reverse.

I like both the shield and eagle designs, but I also think the eagle design will not look great on such a small coin. Save the eagle for a larger coin and use the shield for the cent. My 2c