• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin that you paid over numismedis retail!!

25 posts in this topic

Oh boy. I paid roughly twice retail for each of these, and would gladly do so again! The first two are both NGC MS65-FBL, and the last one is PCGS VF-35 (and I actually paid closer to 3.5x Numismedia for that one!)

2524452-041O.jpg

2524452-041R.jpg

1577900-006O.jpg

1577900-006R.jpg

12102901O.jpg

12102901R.jpg

Just day before yesterday I paid roughly three times retail for this coin even though it is damaged. Plus my max bid was almost twice what I got it for. But it was the last (achievable by me) die marriage for my 1827 set. It's estimated that about 35 or so examples exist in any grade--most of which are damaged. I've been looking for an affordable O-144 for the last 12 years.

Seller's pics since I haven't received it yet.

sellers144o.jpg

sellers144r.jpg

Edit to change amounts after checking Numismedia

like the 1827 O-144 posted above, just about any time a bust coin collector buys an R-5 or scarcer die marriage without cherrypicking or other noncompetitive buying situation, the collector is going to pay multiples, sometimes many multiples of any reasonable or unreasonable price guide. So, I will try to keep discussion of my half dimes out of this.

I don't know how many multiples of retail I paid for this, since when I saw it for sale all I wanted to know was the address for mailing the check.

mainecomp.jpg

interestingly, when I saw the coin pictured below, I was prepared for a big number requested by the dealer. I figured the coin was going to be twice or three times the next grade up. I was pleasantly surprised when he quoted me a price just a touch over greysheet ask

lincolncomp.jpg

WoW! Sweet commems there, Richard. (thumbs u

I paid over Numismedia price for this but still fair market value. It looks much better and original in hand, btw.

77835.jpg.c85c38472de6d6806691febf728c1dd6.jpg

Jaime,

That is basically my entire collection so I will just post the highlights.

Paid over 15X retail for this Jefferson

JeffersonNickel1944-DNGCMS67TApp-5.jpg

Paid a decent premium for this exquisitely toned SLQ

SLQ1924-DNGCMS67Label.jpg

Paid a boatload (over 20X retail) for this monster Morgan

MorganDollar1883-ONGCMS64Star154-3.jpg

Here is a white coin I paid a premium for:

PeaceDollar1925NGCHorizontalLabel.jpg

I know that many collectors judge their collecting prowess by how cheaply they can attain their pieces. My philosophy is that if I don't have to pay a premium, the coin doesn't have the eye appeal necessary to make it into my collection. Very rarely do I end up with a bargain price for any of my coins. I don't care that other collectors think that I over paid for my coins. Sometimes, If the coin calls to you, overpaying is the only way to ensure that it becomes yours.

BTW, Barndog's comment about his Maine Commem sums up my point quite nicely and that is one gorgeous coin.

The SLQ and Peace Dollar especially wow me! I don't think that I've ever seen such a pretty, colorful SLQ before. :luhv:

The war nickel and Morgan are Grace Slick-like psychedelic, wonderful coins.

If I have the cash, I'd much prefer to pay a premium for a special coin than to get a bargain on a so-so coin. In general, unless you happen to be at the right place at the right time, you get what you pay for. When does this realization sink in? When one goes to sell their collection. Will it make a bang or a whisper?

Like Barndog said, simply posting R-5 and above coins isn't really in the spirit of the thread. I paid just below MS money for this (at the time PCGS) AU-55.

1839seated.jpg

I don't know how many multiples of retail I paid for this, since when I saw it for sale all I wanted to know was the address for mailing the check.

mainecomp.jpg

(thumbs u

1931Dlincolnobv.jpg

1931Dlincolnrev.jpg

Great Coins Everyone!! :golfclap:

I was going to post a coin but I just realized that I paid under numismedia price!!

I was prepared to pay alot more!!

Nice coins all. The only thing I probably wound up paying more than numismedia prices for are those danged ole' prez dollars for my registry. lol

I've always been fascinated with the ultra cameo SMS coins of the '60's, maybe because I was born in '65. Bummer that I've never owned one. My most wanted coin apart from completing my type set is an ultra cameo 1965 cent. I once had R&I coins put it on a wish list but I never heard from them about one. Guess that they're scarce.