• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are eBay people crazy....

19 posts in this topic

The auction says they are not business strikes, but I thought the two roll sets were business strikes. They certainly aren't proofs and I would bet they aren't satin finish, but I could be wrong...but here's a quote from the US Mint website on the Van Buren dollars (why would the Harrisons be any different):

"These Martin Van Buren Presidential $1 Coins are circulating condition coins and can be used in daily transactions. However, because these coins have never been circulated, they also make a great addition to your private collection or a wonderful gift for someone special."

The auction says they are not business strikes, but I thought the two roll sets were business strikes.

I don't think the seller is really that much more intelligent than the buyers.

The auction says they are not business strikes, but I thought the two roll sets were business strikes.

I would say the seller is at least $250 more intelligent than the buyers...

I would say the seller is at least $250 more intelligent than the buyers...

:signfunny::applause:

....they must be!!

The mint just sold out of the P & D Harrison Rolls!!

Linky Dinky to Crazy People bidding Crazy prices!!

That is completely insane. Paying almost $300 for $50 plus a paper wrapper. That is almost as absurd as paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for an otherwise chaep coin plus the grading slab. What are they even thinking?

Low mintage.. What stinks is ordering something from the mint and not getting it.. especially when it just released a month ago. I think the mint has a lot of coins of different types to produce (more than the norm) and because of the economy, demand and meeting production its limited on most releases. The amount of time between things releasing and selling out is getting smaller... and smaller. I keep missing the window of opprotuninty on things I want because of this. Someone... is buying a lot of coins... or there is way less being minted. I didn't get my Martin Van Buren rolls from the mint... now I have to buy them from someone on ebay or somewhere else. The rolls are UNC collector rolls with a fancy wrapper. They should release direct ship Van Buren rolls for circulation, but I want the collector rolls. Forget paying 300 bucks....

I've hard anecdotal reports that mintage levels are less than "normal" necause of the economy, but I would have no idea how this translates into the mintage figures for a particular denomination or issue. But in any event, even if this is true, the absolute mintage numbers will still end up being stupendous for practically every issue. You just have to wait and be patient.

I'd say they are less than "normal" because the vaults are full of all the previous dollar coins that no one wants. SBA ended coining for circulation in the third year because the vaults were full. Sac dollar ended coining for circulation in the third year as well for basically the same reason. This is the third year of the President dollar. Need I say more?

I like dollar coins but I think your right.. I rarely if ever get one as change.. or even see anyone other than myself actually use them. So the stock pile of them must be stellar. When I pay with a golden dollar most cashiers do a double take. Even if eventually they flood the market.. will it be this years coin flooding the market? or the next year? I'm not sure how that works. For instance... the new lincoln cents. I don't know of any banks around my area that have any period. If the mint is working on 3 other versions and all the other coins.. I just don't see a high production of the new pennies to hit the banks this year.. maybe next year? What do I know... we are talking about the US Mint that can't even get my order shipped thats going on 5 weeks old and the coins have been in stock and reserved most of that time. I have much newer orders I have already had shipped to me. The variety of coins is unreal this year.

I think Conder has it right. Vaults are full which is why they are shipping the earlier rolls at no charge. Meaning there will be less minted later in the series meaning, well who knows what it means but if they produce just a handful the e-bay folks are not crazy. If they are in the millions then they are crazy.

What is your definition of a "handful"? By US coin standards, that would still be millions which would still make these coins as common as the sand on the beach.

As for the prior comments on the lack of circulation for these coins, there is one way to change that which some people believe in and that is to get rid of the paper equivalent. There is nothing like eliminating choice to get people to bahave the way the monopolists want them to.

There must be a "New Coin Fairy" because a lot of the new collector grade coins I want I can only get at an auction or from a dealer. Lots of the coins I want the mint no longer sells. Example: Collector grade Log Cabin Pennies. Call it rare or whatever.