• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Gold & Silver Eagle's........Suspended!!

12 posts in this topic

https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdschedView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

Production of United States Mint American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coins has been temporarily suspended because of unprecedented demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. Currently, all available silver bullion blanks are being allocated to the American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Program, as the United States Mint is required by Public Law 99-61 to produce these coins “in quantities sufficient to meet public demand . . . .”

The United States Mint will resume the American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coin Programs once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products.

Old news ;)

But yeah, how do we get people to stop buying bullion versions for a while :) I want 2009-W proofs !!

I looked and didn't see it posted on here.

The mint didn't have it on there website a few days ago!!

You would think that they would have alloted enough silver planchets to mint coins for the coming year. I don't think there's any difference from last year to this year on the number of coins minted using these planchets. Was there more than one Silver Comm last yr?? If not , then the only difference would be having two Comms coming out soo close to each other.

You would think that they would have alloted enough silver planchets to mint coins for the coming year. I don't think there's any difference from last year to this year on the number of coins minted using these planchets. Was there more than one Silver Comm last yr?? If not , then the only difference would be having two Comms coming out soo close to each other.

Commems are 0.900 silver. They don't use the same blanks.

Apparently, the Mint has not learned. With the run-up last year, one would think that the Mint would make the arrangements to purchase more planchets, especially the higher selling one ounce silver and gold and the tenth-ounce gold.

There were bigger run ups in 1999 and 2000 and the Mint produced more than twice the volume than last year. In fact, here's something interesting. While looking at the sales of Gold Eagles, I created the attached chart. It shows the amount bullion issues (not collector uncirculated and proofs) since the beginning of the program in 1986. Look at the period from 1998-2000, there was a higher demand than there is today and the Mint was able to keep up.

Mint Director Ed Moy, who is essentially a lame duck waiting for the Obama Administration to replace him, and Andy Brunhardt, the Associate Director who ran the suburban Maryland water and sewer system who was forced out of his job, have shown their incompetence in running the Mint. Brunhardt, who is supposed to be in charge of operations, does not have a manufacturing background to deal with inventory management necessary to run the Mint.

Unfortunately, the Obama Administration has a lot on its plate and the Mint is not a top priority. I hope they can do something soon since the tandem of Moy and Brunhardt are not doing a good job.

Scott :hi:

77053.png.6f5a942801dad0b685bc15135cf419aa.png

I am not sure what all coins the Mint put out in 1999 and 2000 but it does seem like there are a lot more types the last few then there were then. Yes by the chart I would agree with your statements but the AGE ASE are very few when you look at the total amount of coins it is making this year.

Does anyone have the data on the TOTAL number of items made by the mint this year compared to 1999/2000?

Does anyone have the data on the TOTAL number of items made by the mint this year compared to 1999/2000?

Actually, I am working on that. I am looking at over all production and non-business strike production to compare. But the Mint's website is not exactly data mining friendly, so it takes time--and it is not a high priority right now since I have to do my taxes!

Scott :hi: