• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Mark Twain Commemorative Coin.....Survey!!

Are you going to buy!!  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy!!

8 posts in this topic

9/26/2008--Introduced.

Mark Twain Commemorative Coin Act - Directs the Secretary of the Treasury to mint and issue $5 gold coins and $1 silver coins emblematic of the life and legacy of Mark Twain.

Limits issuance of such coins to calendar 2010.

Requires specified surcharges in the sale of such coins, which shall be promptly paid, in specified percentages, to: (1) the Mark Twain House & Museum in Hartford, Connecticut, to support the continued restoration of the house and grounds, and ensure continuing growth and innovation in museum programming to research, promote, and educate on the legacy of Mark Twain; (2) the Mark Twain Project at the Bancroft Library of University of California, Berkeley, California, to support programs to study and promote Mark Twain's legacy; (3) the Center for Mark Twain Studies at Elmira College, New York, for the same purposes; and (4) the Mark Twain Boyhoood Home and Museum in Hannibal, Missouri, to preserve historical sites related to Mark Twain and help support study and promotion programs.

Rep. John Larson has reintroduced legislation in H.R. 1195 calling for $5 gold and $1 silver coins to commemorate the life and legacy of Mark Twain.

Mark Twain was the pen name for Samuel Clemens, whose many works are still mostly in print after nearly a century past his death in 1910. Clemens is one of the best known Americans in the world with over 6,500 editions of his books translated into 75 languages.

2010 marks the 175th anniversary of Mark Twain’s birth and the 125th anniversary of the publication of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It is also the target year for the gold and silver coins to honor Twain.

H.R. 1195 would authorize coin surcharges for several historical sites, including the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum in Hannibal, Missouri. Cosponsoring the bill are three representatives, one of whom is Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer from Missouri.

Government Printing Office (GPO) is yet to publish the text of H.R. 1195. However, it is likely a twin to the prior legislation, named the Mark Twain Commemorative Coin Act, H.R. 7152.

H.R. 7152, like many other coin bills from 2008, failed to advance in the 110th Congress. It included provisions for the United States Mint to issue 100,000 $5 gold coins and 500,000 $1 silver coins in 2010.

Please note: Proposed Coin

Mark-Twain-Coin-Proposed.jpg

I would not buy them but if others want them , why not?

I hardly pay attention to these new commemorative issues and probably would not even be able to tell anyone which have been issued recently. One of the reasons is because I have considered many of the themes not deserving. (The same could be said of classic commemorities.)

But the other reason is because the $5 and $1 format has become rather tiresome. I remember an article in CoinAge (I believe) where the author of an article proposed proof versions of classic coinage for the 150th anniversary of the San Francisco mint. Like a $3 gold and a Barber dime. I think that would have been a much better idea and I would even have considered buying those.

That would have been nice

Personally the 2006 ones are my favourites though ! I get a perfect replica of two famous reverses, neither of which I collect, but both of which I appreciate more now. They are both beautiful

I believe both commemorative program slots for 2010 have already been filled. The Boy Scouts got one of them, but I can't remember at the moment what the other one is. Also that bill was submitted last year and it died when the Congress adjourned last December. We have a new Congress now so the bill would have to start all over again acquiring a few hundred co-sponsors so it could be resubmitted.

I'm out, I have been disappointed with the bland low relief of current commems. It seems to me if they can pull off this UHR gold coin that they can start making real nice high relief commems that we can all enjoy.