• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint State or Proof

14 posts in this topic

Do you prefer MS coins or Proof coins? Why?

Personally, I love the effect of cartwheel luster. Some of my favorite proofs have had a bit of this and have looked spectacular. This is unusual tho, so I tend toward the MS coins.

I prefer mint state coins but also like proofs. There's something about a DCAM that just jumps out at you through the mirrored fields that kinda mesmerizes me. It's also nice that the "powers that be" recognize the collecting community enough to strike a special edition just for them.

TDN, like you I live for mint luster. In the 19th century most dates are far rarer in choice MS than choice Proof. And branch mints only come one way for the most part. I find that many people have a tough time evaluating luster and surfaces on mint state coin so they tend to gravitate to the proofs which appear easier. Proofs almost always look good, But I find finding hairlines on proofs to be far more difficult in auction and show viewing than evaluating mint luster. I was hooked on

mint state coins from the beginning while looking for rarer branch mint coins in the choice UNC. Give me luster or give me death.............

roadrunner

My absolute favorites are the early Lincoln matte proofs. I'm not a big proponent of the later proofs, especially those made in the 1950s and 1960s.

I'd about saw my right arm off for a full 1909 proof set. I believe all the coins would have been matte, no? (all I really know is the copper...not sure what the Barbers would be like.)

When I first started collecting, my focus was on modern commems. I collected both proof and MS, and then for budgetary reasons, axed one. I chose to keep the MS, because the mintages were lower, and the gold coins appeared to have more eye appeal to me.

When I went to a 20th Century set, I looked at both choices again, and for the post-1964 pieces, nothing really differentiates one coin from another in proof, so I chose MS, because they have a little more character, and can be found toned.

Mmmmm... Matte and satin proofs are delicious, especially in buffalo nickels (matte: 1913-16, satin: 1936) and the 1994 and 1997 Jefferson specimens! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif I simply love specimen coins that do not have the mirror fields since they can have cartwheel lustre and look like a really well struck business strike!

As for MS vs. mirror PFs, I'll take MS. I do, however, enjoy mirror proofs with cameo devices.

God, I'm drooling.

Hoot

I prefer MS gold, and have never been a fan of the Satin/Matte proofs in gold. But I will say I've never seen any coin more gorgeous than a cameo proof Liberty double eagle.

I am with you on Proof Gold! I also really like mint luster on gold and dollars, but I also really appreciate Matte Proofs. I am developing a taste for DCAM proofs since I have my Capital Holder Ike's and Kennedy's on my desk where I look at them everyday. tongue.gif