• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great pick-up!

11 posts in this topic

I know I this should post this in recent acquisitions, but I have wanting this type of coin for some time and I finally got one! From what I have researched, it was not untypical, although of course not common, for the first CC morgan to have a rotated reverse. In fact, from what I have learned, the 78 CC probably had the highest number of these. This one will proudly take her place at the front of the line for my registry set. Yes!!

1878-CC_M$_NGC_010.jpg

For whatever reason rotated dies have never been a source of fascination for me. I'm more impressed by the fact that the coin looks too nice to only be graded MS-61. It looks better than some of the Morgan dollars I've seen in MS-63 holders.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's a rotated reverse and not a rotated obverse? ;)

Well, that's obvious. The obverse is upright in the holder and the reverse is not. doh!