• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your Favorite coin magazine or newletter?

11 posts in this topic

I have had a subscription to a magazine but I find it very boring, there is so many advertisements and other junk.

So what magazine or newletter is actually worth the money?

I used to get Coin World Also. It had some pretty good articles once you got past all the advertisements. It also use to have value guides periodically in it.

If you're interested in information about coins that goes beyond the beginner level, without dealer ads or discussions about modern mint products, then I highly recommend joining a specialty club and reading its journal or newsletter.

There are clubs for pre-1834 coinage, Liberty Seated silver coinage, Barber coins, Carson City coins, southern gold coins, pre-1856 copper coins, etc.

There are also free e-mail newsletters, like the E-Sylum (about numismatic books and research), the E-Gobrecht (Liberty Seated silver) and the John Reich Newsletter (pre-1834 coinage).

I subscribe to Coin World (superior price guide), Coin Dealer Newsletter (CDN) - grey sheet, green sheet, and blue sheet.

I also take BNR (Banknote Reporter).

I use CDN as a wholesale reference, Coin World Values as a market retail reference. Many times what I actually sell a coin for to a customer may be somewhere inbetween the two. I use BNR to research prices from dealer ads for various priceing models I run in excel especially to calculate market retail by grade on National Banknotes based on Kelly Value. While I keep all price info in Excel I also put a sticker on the coin for cost code and retail code (usually CW).

I do not care for Numismatic News as they have a really lame price guide for coins.

I'll have to go find a coin world. I often pick up coinage at the grocery store. It's not bad - talks a little more about moderns than I care about but that could be a plus for some people..

The ANA magazine is decent but though I have never seen or read a copy, probably the ANS journal is the best. I only read them occasionally, but do not find the "mass market" periodicals of much value or interest.

Many of the others mentioned in this thread ar eprice guides and I would far prefer actual auciton prices (like Heritage).

The Numismatist from ANA though it say's Periodical free comes with membership not as many adds as coin world.Which has become or getting close to some of the coins tv shows with some of the adds in it

Coin World is my favorite too. It's gotten a lot thinner since the "olden days" well before the foremat size reduction.

The only problem, someone along the line "enjoys" my Coin Worlds long before I get them. I frequently go 3 weeks without one, and then 3 come on the same day...and they have been well "appreciated" by some fellow collector in a mail room somewhere...pages folded, lots of creases but no ripped out ads or articles...yet...except the one that I got about 6 months ago in a P.O. Body Bag. It's a miracle it got to me at all...what a shreaded mess :(