• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1987-D Jefferson Nickel W/Thick Planchet....How does this...

18 posts in this topic

5.7 gr is the exact weight of a clad quarter...that's one thick planchet!

It is going to be interesting to see how it fills the insert vs, other Jefferson nickels.

How does this happen???

dunno on this modern coin.

It is going to be interesting to see how it fills the insert vs, other Jefferson nickels.

This is one of those impulse buys on eBay. I logged onto eBay and just typed NGC into the search and I found this coin ending in 7 minutes. I only paid $16.50 for the coin.

I will let you know how it fills the holder when I get the coin in hand.

This is one of those impulse buys on eBay. I logged onto eBay and just typed NGC into the search and I found this coin ending in 7 minutes. I only paid $16.50 for the coin.

I will let you know how it fills the holder when I get the coin in hand.

$16.50?? Seems like a GREAT deal!

A while back there were some dimes, don't quote me here, that were struck on quarter stock, or quarters that were struck on dime stock. Now if this nickel were struck on quarter stock, it wouldn't weigh the same as a quarter due to the difference in diameter. But what if it were struck on half dollar stock? Just a thought here. Usually if they are struck on a foreign coin stock, they'll list that... or am I wrong?

Usually if they are struck on a foreign coin stock, they'll list that... or am I wrong?

I was thinking the same thing. It is an older holder so maybe they didn't label them as such back then? I don't know!!

A nickel struck on Half dollar stock would weigh 5.44 grams so this would have to be thicker than a half dollar. By 1987 the mint was receiving strip from outside suppliers but not finished planchets (except for cents). In other words the mint was doing their own blanking. They had not struck coins for another country for three years so the chance of it being a foreign planchet is very slight. But it is possible that the strip sent to the mint was intended for someone else and had been rolled to the thickness of some other countries coin.

I just got my nickel in the mail today.

As compared to another nickel is fills up almost the whole slab.

From comparing nickels I think it is about the size of a regular nickel with a dime

stacked on top of it. The nickel also has a different look to it.

~The nickel also has a different look to it.~

You mean the metallic look is different than a regular 1987 Nickel?

You think it might be clad composition or other?

You mean the metallic look is different than a regular 1987 Nickel?

You think it might be clad composition or other?

I don't know?

Yes I was comparing it to another 1987-D nickel.

The coin looks like it has a stain finish on the reserve but looks more normal on the obverse.

I just trying to figure out how this happened!!