• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Awards Deadline Monday, December 15

17 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi everybody hi.gif

Just a reminder that the entry deadline for Registry Awards is Monday, December 15th

Entries submitted on Tuesday, December 16th will not be eligible for this round of awards so please get your final entries in on Monday.

Good Luck!

The Best of the Registry Awards 2003

Posted by NGC at 10/14/03 8:43:22 AM

Is your set really number one? Register your set in NGC's Certified Coin Registry to find out.

Each year, participants with the best sets in the following categories will receive a personalized plaque, an icon of recognition by his/her set listing in the registry and up to 5 Deluxe Photoproofs of NGC coins from his/her winning set.

The Five Best Classic sets: 1792-1964

The Five Best Modern sets: 1950 to date (including Jefferson Nickels, Roosevelt Dimes and Washington Quarters)

The Five Best Presented sets (sets with the best descriptive text and coin images)

The winners of the best sets in the three categories will be determined by a team of NGC experts - Mark Salzberg, Rick Montgomery and David Lange.

Also, collectors with the finest set in each category will receive an icon of recognition by his/her set in the registry and a certificate of achievement.

Sets must be at least 50% complete to be eligible.

This year's deadline for set registration and updates is December 15, 2003. Winners will be announced on December 31, 2003.

So I take it that by "entry" they mean coins in the registry sets. The way it was posted, it sounded like an entry form of some sort.

Thanks Greg.

Hoot

Awfully tough not to choose this one:

SLQ Set

Or this one [in general I ignored sets not 100% complete, tho I must admit that I can't figure out why the proofs are lumped in with the MS coins]:

Cardinal Collection

This one's amazing as well:

Proof Morgans

I wish there was a sort feature where you could sort the Registry by other choices - say Points, or maybe % complete.

Hey, I'm still first in the 1956 proof set category!

I almost upgraded my cent but I got outbid. Oh, well, I am sure someone will come along and top me next year regardless. I'm focusing on my type set anyway and have no hope of ever topping that category.

THANKS ONLY ROOSIES FOR THE MENTION...I HAVE WORKED VERY HARD FOR MANY YEARS...........OK ...OK...IT WASNT WORK...I HAD FUN FOR MANY YEARS......THE ONLY REGRET I HAVE IS MY PICS ARE FAIR TO POOR...MAYBE SOMEDAY I WILL DISPLAY IT AGAIN.....IT BREAKS THE RICHTOR SCALE IN PERSON

TTYL

MONSTERMAN

(GREGG BINGHAM) news.gifflowerred.gif

Now that is a set NGC should be willing to put on display at some of the shows. Having gotten to see some of the coins over the years I am in awe.

Hey Greg-

I've seen monsterman's (Gregg Bingham's) commem set displayed at the NGC table before at the ANA. The collection is made up of such mind-numbingly cool coins that they will beat you about the face and have you begging for more! 893whatthe.gif Truly, it was one of the highlights for me from all the ANA conventions I have ever gone to.

Kudos to NGC and monsterman for making that display possible. smile.gif

Hey Greg-

I've seen monsterman's (Gregg Bingham's) commem set displayed at the NGC table before at the ANA. The collection is made up of such mind-numbingly cool coins that they will beat you about the face and have you begging for more! 893whatthe.gif Truly, it was one of the highlights for me from all the ANA conventions I have ever gone to.

Kudos to NGC and monsterman for making that display possible. smile.gif

I've only been lucky enough to see a few here and there - usually before Gregg buys them.

I'm still pissed at myself for not going after the proof gold Norse medal harder. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif Oh well, I'm sure Gregg loves it as much as I would have..

I've seen monsterman's (Gregg Bingham's) commem set displayed at the NGC table before at the ANA. The collection is made up of such mind-numbingly cool coins that they will beat you about the face and have you begging for more! Truly, it was one of the highlights for me from all the ANA conventions I have ever gone to.

Kudos to NGC and monsterman for making that display possible.

**************************************stars****************************************************

thanks tom i appreciate it...............i am going to bring a box to fun and put it in sheps case

greg.....i will bring the gold norse too.........it sure looks good in a matt proof 68* holder....as we both knew there was none better

well i just spent the day in dallas getting a jump on the fun auction ( also now up on heritage`s site ) and what i have been told by numerous people is true............the hof-#1 set of all time ( pcgs that is ) was mostly plastic holders and its going to show in the auction ( prices realized ).....i would of liked to of added some coins from the heller set but.......no joy......seems he was buying the slab not the coin........in fact i have seen many pieces from shep`s...cali`s....rothenberger`s ...highfil`s...and many others ...and to be quite frank the heller collection is not even in the top 5...........

the proof of it all can only come out in the ngc registry as ngc does 2 things that is a must in ranking sets which pcgs does not and therefore cannot really rank sets

1) much better weights system

2) the star* for superior eye appeal

and because ngc has a far superior system ( not to mention they are much more consistent and are more accurate in their grading ) ...i crossed all my commems

now i have to tell ya that i do appreciate pcgs because they have a very large collection ( no pun intended ) of pcgs only zombies which in turn lets me buy coins cheaper due to less competition so for that i am greatfull but i also know it wont last for ever

unfortunately no system is perfect but ngc`s system is by far and away the best...and there is a reason for that....i told mark years ago that ngc has a tremdous advantage starting after pcgs ...and that is they will blaze the trail and fumble with you watching thus allowing ngc not to make the same mistakes...and in fact by watching them..... find a much better way...well pcgs started the registry system and i was there from day one ....they started it with the jack lee collection of morgans....and once pcgs commited to their system ...ngc just rolled out a much improved system.......

so there you have it imho

monsterman

see you all at fun thumbsup2.gif

I do like many things about the NGC Registry better....

The weighting is more accurate

It allows both an obverse and reverse picture

It allows both PCGS and NGC coins

Those are all advantages over the PCGS Set Registry. But even over here, you can still buy the holder and not the coin to 'improve' your set.... wink.gif