• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time to get you NGC "Black Holder"

34 posts in this topic

Is This the real case of buy the holder not the coin ???? :news:

Yes it is. People pay big bucks for these first generation NGC holders. I've seen a couple of these holders that had high priced coins in them. The coins were really under graded IMO, and the asking price was through the roof.

Pretty neat... Anyone have a figure of how many coins were encapsulated in the black holders?

It doesn't matter how many were made---it's how many exist today. Most were destroyed when they were reslabbed.

Be interesting to see if there are snipes at the end. The premium on this is still well below what the last three that I know of sold for. (Of course I do think they were to high.)

Be interesting to see if there are snipes at the end. The premium on this is still well below what the last three that I know of sold for. (Of course I do think they were to high.)
How high were the last few black slabs and what kind of coins were in the holders? Really curious.

Edited to add that in the current economic climate, this coin may not go as high as some of the earlier black slabs.

How high were the last few black slabs and what kind of coins were in the holders? Really curious.

Edited to add that in the current economic climate, this coin may not go as high as some of the earlier black slabs.

I bet the coin will still go high. There are very few of these holders out there.

Other Black Holders

Linky Dinky 437% over Numismedia Retail~~~Sold for $4,025.00

Linky Dinky 653% over Numismedia Retail~~~Sold for $4312.50

I bet the coin will still go high. There are very few of these holders out there.

Other Black Holders

Linky Dinky 437% over Numismedia Retail

Linky Dinky 653% over Numismedia Retail

The links do not give the sell price without a heritage password. Can someone translate these links into dollars?

The links do not give the sell price without a heritage password. Can someone translate these links into dollars?

I fixed if for you.......just so you know you can get an account for free!!

Those were two of the three, the third one was a MS-65 1937-D Oregon half. Sold late last year for $3,000.

And I had seen both of the first two before they sold. Neither one was an upgrade candidate, and one of thm has a damaged holder (chipped at the bottom.) The third one is a nice coin but I still don't think it is an upgrade, but it's holder is pristine.

As to how many are still in existance, at one point NGC said they thought 35 were still around. Back when I was first writing the book I estimated between 40 and 400. I think the NGC estimate is low, and today I would guess maybe 200. In the past ten years I've seen ten (representing 6 different specimens) trade hands at auction, and I've seen or gotten serial numbers of about 10 different pieces..

I wonder if my sov slabbed with a 300k ish serial number is worth anything haha

It is very strange and different shape etc. Must remember NOT to reholder :D