• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the NGC forum!!

31 posts in this topic

When I first signed up in April of 2007 it seemed that there was lots of quality post!!

I seems to me that after about a year of me being here it just started going down hill.

I don't see some of the people that were posting in 2007 anymore.

I don't post ATS but I find my self going over there more because there is nothing to do on this site.

rantrant

What are your thoughts?

It does seem like it's slowed down a little over here, but I've been a bit too busy to pay much attention lately. I do know that some of the former quality posters have been showing up somewhat less frequently. It'll pick back up eventually.

ETA:

With the economy down the tube, it's also possible that some folks have simply cut back on collecting. I know I have. When things pick back up, I'll be buying more.

I'm thinking Mike is probably right in his guess about the economy. Yeah, the forum has slowed down a little bit, but there are still plenty of quality posters here. If it is a little bit slower, that's alright as long as its temporary. Just tell your friends to come join us! Any community loses some people, and it must replace them to stay vibrant. The slower times are weighing on us all, so its understandable that people are paying a little more attention to the grocery bill and a little less attention to the coins.

I agree. I know I've been buying less coins that are worth mentioning. But I have a new job that will hopefully change things down the road once I get my head above water. I still see our best posting but not as frequent. I still venture ATS but it is still a little too fast paced for me to have to sort thru the bs and find the quality posts. But I still see that we all are here, just not posting as much.

I have been spending a lot of my time caring for my wife, who was diagnosed with a Wilm's cancer tumor back in October. Being super rare in an adult, we have been running all over to get the best care. I now know my way around the Moffitt Center in Tampa, Fl. pretty good.

Coins are taking a back seat right now. I did add a nice MS 1859 IHC to my type set last week though.

When I break it loose from its holder, I will post a photo.

But, Like Arnold said: "I'll be back"

MM

I'm thinking Mike is probably right in his guess about the economy. Yeah, the forum has slowed down a little bit, but there are still plenty of quality posters here. If it is a little bit slower, that's alright as long as its temporary. Just tell your friends to come join us! Any community loses some people, and it must replace them to stay vibrant. The slower times are weighing on us all, so its understandable that people are paying a little more attention to the grocery bill and a little less attention to the coins.

(thumbs u

i think that the boards are decent and there are some great posts; yes it could be better but i hope more post here.........or post some more yourself and make the posts so good more people want to come here and read them and also join and stay

When I first signed up in April of 2007 it seemed that there was lots of quality post!!

I seems to me that after about a year of me being here it just started going down hill.

I don't post ATS but I find my self going over there more because there is nothing to do on this site.

rantrant

What are your thoughts?

I understand from a very reliable source that traffic ATS is drastically down as well.

I have been spending a lot of my time caring for my wife, who was diagnosed with a Wilm's cancer tumor back in October.

That could sure put the coin thing into perspective.

Best wishes for the complete recovery of your wife.

Paul

You know, I peruse both boards. There are some very good posts ATS as well as here. I like to gain knowledge whereever I can get it.

Anyhow, I've found here lately that I'm hanging out a lot more here than over there.

Why? Well, this board is more personal. It seems that if you aren't part of the in crowd, then your posts, no matter how good, are thrown to the dogs and sometimes never even responded to.

On top of that, I find that a lot of good posts get buried very quickly by a bunch of BS posts like... Post a toner.... Barber fans unite... Copper for the weekend... I mean, come on now, how many times do I want to see pictures of the same coins? Plus that John Nanney (? discoverer of the 08 rev 07) post was just absolutely annoying for about a year.

And... believe it or not, a lot of the in crowd clique seems to be a bit pompous.

Think about it.... I have never been... never will be in the same realm of collecting as a lot of people here... namely people like Victor and Bill Jones.... but when the general public... including me responds to one of their posts whether it be in agreement or not, they tend to respond in kind. When people of such great coin knowledge post and a reply is made (such as James... aka the great coindescriberguy... of whom they are thinking of making a beer commercial!)... he actually responds. And they don't respond rudely... which I see a lot ATS.

Anyhow, those are just my feelings... although I'll still post when I feel like I need to ATS, I'm sure the ones who are abrasive know they are and really don't care one way or the other.

For some of us, Real Life has set in. The slow economy, the demands of work, and new responsibilities are taking over my time. Since my job involves the federal government, I hope the change that happened last week will lead to positive change in our work environment. In the mean time, the government is operating on a continuing resolution and has not had a real budget since 2006!

To Morgan Man: Good luck, buddy! I understand caring for a wife with cancer. Do what you need to do because you will regret it otherwise!

Scott :hi:

I think that the boards are decent and there are some great posts; yes it could be better but i hope more post here.........or post some more yourself and make the posts so good more people want to come here and read them and also join and stay

I agree 100%......just wish it was a little more active.

.........or post some more yourself and make the posts so good more people want to come here and read them and also join and stay

Sorry my post are not the greatest but people like to dog people and leave negative feedback on collectors like me that like to collect modern coins, for this reason I usually don't post new threads because frankly I am sick of negative comments. I almost left the boards because of it....but decided that I would read post and not post as much.

I am a young collecter and don't have the money or resorces to buy old coins...I mostly just started collecting by myself and didn't have any help. I believe I have came a long way and still learning a great amount of information. That is why I come to the boards so that I able to learn more.

I think people need to stop and think about what they post.....give people a reason to stay here!!

I have been spending a lot of my time caring for my wife, who was diagnosed with a Wilm's cancer tumor back in October. Being super rare in an adult, we have been running all over to get the best care.

Best Wishes....Family always comes first!!

.........or post some more yourself and make the posts so good more people want to come here and read them and also join and stay

Sorry my post are not the greatest but people like to dog people and leave negative feedback on collectors like me that like to collect modern coins, for this reason I usually don't post new threads because frankly I am sick of negative comments. I almost left the boards because of it....but decided that I would read post and not post as much.

I am a young collecter and don't have the money or resorces to buy old coins...I mostly just started collecting by myself and didn't have any help. I believe I have came a long way and still learning a great amount of information. That is why I come to the boards so that I able to learn more.

I think people need to stop and think about what they post.....give people a reason to stay here!!

I guess I've missed some of these negatives Shatzy. Most of the people here are very respectful from what I've seen. I know some people have thier issues about moderns but one day these moderns will be old coins themselves. Of course, most of us probably won't see that time frame. lol You just keep plugging my friend. All this new Gold that everyone's in whoopla about, well aren't they moderns?? I like the old as well as the new! Keep'em comin' my friend!!

people like to dog people and leave negative feedback on collectors like me that like to collect modern coins

Sorry, but I don't see a whole lot of that on this board, and usually what I do see is just good-natured ribbing. You may find people who don't like moderns, and therefore don't care for your coins, but that doesn't mean that they dislike you.

people like to dog people and leave negative feedback on collectors like me that like to collect modern coins

Sorry, but I don't see a whole lot of that on this board, and usually what I do see is just good-natured ribbing. You may find people who don't like moderns, and therefore don't care for your coins, but that doesn't mean that they dislike you.

I posted a thread and three people posted some very nasty remarks. The thread was deleted but I was still able to read the comments before it was deleted.

The economy and impending doom forecasting at the Kitco Silver Website has taken the wind out of a lot of peoples sails.

As far as the forums I really don't have that much time - I am more interested in finding coin deals or busy preparing material for a show or sale.

Coins are a luxury item, not a demand item like food, lodging, entertainment, etc.

All one has to do is to look at the CCDN market index to see the dismal investment performance of coins. Whatever money I have made from coins has been from buying it right and pushing it at retail. Any bullion profits were all about timing. I see this year as just being fun and games on the bourse and loading up on nice stuff where I can buy it right.

I had lurked on the PCGS and CS Boards for several years before I decided to start posting. I have thoroughly enjoyed being here. There are definately some characters that roam here. Also there are some very talented photographers here as well.

My buying has slowed significantly over the past year. I like to learn as much as I can but don't feel that I have much to offer these days by way of informative, quality posts. I don't have as much time for my hobby as in recent years. Just one man's situation and opinion.